yeast brink/storage options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yeast brink/storage options

I am in the market for yeast storage. At my old brewery we had some old 90 gallon grundy tanks on wheels that we would typically fill with 60-80 gallons of yeast. We would store them in our cooler. They had 2 windows in the top and graduation marks on the back in 10 gallon increments. At the old brewery we used 1056 and brewed into 120bbl fermentors. If memory serves me we typically used 40-60 gallons of yeast depending on what we were brewing.
    I am at a new brewery now and we are brewing into 40bbl fermentors. I am using 1028 and I am still getting a handle on my yeast handling. I have tried using our 50L kegs, but do not like the lack of pressure relief capabilities. It seems as though I am typically able to harvest 40 gallons of pitchable slurry off of a 40bbl fermentor. If pitching into my IPA I need about 20 gallons of slurry. I am used to pitching by volume and then running a cell count to see what my pitching rate is. If I am low, I bump up using the volume/cell count from my original pitch. If I am over I try harder next time.
    My question is this: what are my options for yeast storage? I have seen the white labs keg sabco sells and it seems undersized and over priced. Being able to homogenize my slurry would be nice, but I was able to have good yeast management, and a repeatable process without the capability at the old brewery. I have am aware of a place in Portland called Stout Tanks that makes some little 40 gallon tanks.
    Any guidance anyone can share would be greatly appreciated.
Working...
X