What to do for Glycol decks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do for Glycol decks?

Hello everyone again, to start off I have a million questions about everything so you may see my posts pop up frequently now. This time I have question about Glycol chillers. To give a little background info, we will be opening a brewpub this Fall and haven't completely settled on the tanks yet but am sure we will be having 5 jacketed ones none the less. So far the plans are 4 Jacketed 5HL uni's and 1 4 BBL bright, then keg off EVERYTHING! It definitely sounds like a lot of work to me but we won't have enough room to start out serving from Brights. We do however have room for one more tank and may decide to bring that in shortly after we figure out what our biggest seller is but for now I want the extra space incase I need to cry in the corner or something. Anyways, the tank provider is kinda leading me towards a glycol chiller capable of 8 GPM and between 6000-7500 BTU/hr. Now my tank transfers from uni to BBT will be around 2 days apart so I shouldn't need to cold crash two tanks at the same time. Does that size sound about right? Is anyone out there running a similar system, but with something smaller? Where is a good place to source out some equipment (Preferably a Canadian site, but Northern States is fine too)?

I've also read some threads about running chillers with multiple pumps (ie one per fermenter or BBT). What are the benefits in doing so? I'm such a newbie when it comes to this area...What about size of glycol reservoir? Do the majority of these chillers come with an attached reservoir that's capable of delivering enough glycol, or is a separate glycol tank used? If separate, is that tank stored somewhere cold or can the chiller cool it as it passes through? What are the benefits of storing the glycol cold? We live in an area that is minus 20 degrees C for 8 mths of the year, so I figure we could just store an external tank in a chest freezer outside(unplugged of course) during these months and then keep it plugged in during the summer. Does that sound like it would work, or is it necessary?

Thanks ahead of time everyone. Any input would much appreciated.
    Cheers!
    Fletch

Sounds like you could get by with anything in the 3-5HP range. With that many tanks i'd run a glycol loop to supply them all. Not hard, we built ours...

Read this:
    http://www.prochiller.com/files/AllAboutGlycol.pdf
    Nate Cornett
    Yellow Springs Brewery
    Yellow Springs, OH

Comment

Working...
    X