Three vessel brewhouse layout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three vessel brewhouse layout

I am about a month away from pulling the trigger on a 30bbl brewery and was wondering if anyone has an opinion on whether to do a mash/lauter tun, kettle and whirlpool or separate mash tun, lauter tun and kettle/whirlpool.

I would lean towards separate mash and lauter tuns to get started on a second batch more quickly. Also a separate tank just to whirlpool seems unnecessary. There is a significant difference in cost for individual tuns as they are much more expensive than a whirlpool and would require extra piping for steam. A mash/lauter tun would save the time in transfer from one to the other.

We all know what opinions are like I am getting suggestions for both setups from manufacturers so I was wondering what you folks think.

Thanks

My opinion is that if you only do single infusion do a Mash/Lauter and split the Boil and Whirlpool up. If you want to be able to do a heated step mash get a dedicated mash mixer. Unless you do a 4 vessel you are always going to have a bottle neck at one end or the other with either waiting for the lauter to finish to start another mash, or waiting for the whirlpool/knockout to do another boil.

If you think long term you might upgrade to a 4 vessel (IE add a 4th vessel) is is easier to add a whirlpool later on than to add a dedicated mash mixer because of the plumbing changes are fewer.

A dedicated mash mixer is probably 2-3X the cost of a whirlpool because it is steam heated, requires a mixing motor and blades, and requires a pump to move the mash to the lauter tun.
    Last edited by CopperKettle; 04-17-2013, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Go with the mash tun, lauter tun, and kettle, and leave space for a whirlpool later on. The main benefit of a whirlpool is the time savings, you can start running the next batch into the kettle while the whirlpool is settling and knocking out.
      Linus Hall
      Yazoo Brewing
      Nashville, TN
      www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Just throwing this out there, what about a Wort Receiver? Finish your runoff into it, while finishing the boil and whirlpool in the kettle.
        Joel Halbleib
        Partner / Zymurgist
        Hive and Barrel Meadery
        6302 Old La Grange Rd
        Crestwood, KY
        www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

What type of system are you doing, gravity or horizontal? If you are doing horizontal and single infusion and want to save time I would suggest doing the mash/lauter, kettle, and whirlpool. The whirlpool would be much cheaper then a mash mixer and you can always add it later if needed. I am making some assumptions with this response. I assume you would have a grist case, you can mash in in a timely fashion and you are doing 90 minute boils. If any of these assumptions are wrong then my opinion would change. If it is possible to have the capital for a 4 vessel system that is the best way to save time. I hope this helps.

Comment

I'd go with with the mash mixer, lauter, and kettle/whirlpool. Spinning in the kettle takes no more than 15 mins, and you have to factor in the time it takes to transfer the liquid as well. The mash transfer from mixer to tun is much quicker, and the time it takes to clean the mash mixer is less than the time to clean a whirlpool (IMHO).

Then, if you are getting to the 3 brews plus per day, you can add a whirlpool...as was said before, way less plumbing.

I like the flexibility of a mash mixer as well...especially if you are going for beers with a lot of adjuncts.

Just my $0.02

Nat

PS, make sure your lauter tun is nice and wide and shallow!

Comment

Benefits of Whirlpool Vessel

I am in the same boat as JHallock. Are there any other benefits to adding a whirlpool aside from time savings? I've had a vendor tell me that you can reach up to 6% more wort into the FV with one. Anyone confirm this?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Natrat View Post
                I'd go with with the mash mixer, lauter, and kettle/whirlpool. Spinning in the kettle takes no more than 15 mins, and you have to factor in the time it takes to transfer the liquid as well. The mash transfer from mixer to tun is much quicker, and the time it takes to clean the mash mixer is less than the time to clean a whirlpool (IMHO).

Then, if you are getting to the 3 brews plus per day, you can add a whirlpool...as was said before, way less plumbing.

I like the flexibility of a mash mixer as well...especially if you are going for beers with a lot of adjuncts.

Just my $0.02

Nat

PS, make sure your lauter tun is nice and wide and shallow!
                I agree with this. make sure the mash tun/mixer is heated so you can do step mashes if you want and pipe it so you can pull of a portion of the mash to the kettle to do decoction.

Comment

Working...
                X