Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Optimum MLT Geometry for 3.5 or 7 BBL Brews?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimum MLT Geometry for 3.5 or 7 BBL Brews?

I'm in the planning stages for a new microbrewery, and I'm on the fence as far as a 3BBL brewhouse going into 6BBL fermenters (single or double brew), versus a 7BBL brewhouse going into 7BBL fermenters to support either a 3.5BBL or 7BBL brew. I'm leaning towards the latter simply because I won't have to double brew to get a larger batch, but I'm concerned about the MLT tank geometry and the shallow grain bed for a 3.5BBL batch.

For example the Stout 7BBL MLT I'm looking at has an ID of 1150mm and a depth of 1000mm. That works out to 0.275 Gal/mm for that tank. If I were doing a 3.5BBL batch targeting 120 gal in the BK at end of boil (I'm targeting 10% more in BK than desired 3.5BBL final size - can you tell I'm a homebrewer? , and using 1.25 qt per pound for my mash results in a total mash volume of about 78 Gal which is 285mm/11.2" depth for a 13P end of boil batch.

So my question for the pros here is will that grain bed depth be too little given a grain bed diameter 45.3 inches? That's just a 1:4 ratio of depth to diameter.

Thanks!

Kevin
Working...
X