Method of cooling hot wort samples?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Method of cooling hot wort samples?

Just looking for a little feedback on different methods for cooling wort samples out of the kettle. We've been putting the sample into a hydrometer flask, which we place into a plastic pitcher with a hose sitting in it running cold water. This takes way too long and uses a lot of water. I've heard of people placing it in an ice bath or into a freezer, but this still takes quite a while.

Can anyone give me some insight into some different methods? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

If you are looking to take a gravity reading.... Refractometer... two drops...wait 10 seconds....take reading.... $34 brewhardware.com. Come on....

Comment

wort sample

Originally posted by poltz View Post
      If you are looking to take a gravity reading.... Refractometer... two drops...wait 10 seconds....take reading.... $34 brewhardware.com. Come on....
      I use a thermometer and temperature correction chart, works great. I have tried refrac method, two samples of exact same wort were way different. Two readings at different temp with hydrometer seem to always correlate.

Cheers, Rich

Comment

One pipe, with hight and diameter so it fits the extract meter. Another pipe, slightly larger, welded around the smaller pipe, one fitting at the bottom for water and one fitting at the top for water. Connect to cold water. Cool the wort.
        Cheap and easy heat exchanger.

Comment

Originally posted by grnis View Post
          One pipe, with hight and diameter so it fits the extract meter. Another pipe, slightly larger, welded around the smaller pipe, one fitting at the bottom for water and one fitting at the top for water. Connect to cold water. Cool the wort.
          Cheap and easy heat exchanger.
          What grnis said....

Pax.

Liam
          Liam McKenna
          www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Working...
          X