Flush and cleaning (scale removal) steam boiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flush and cleaning (scale removal) steam boiler

We bought a used (1997) steam generator Sussman ES72. Even if it is still working pretty well, It does not blowdown anymore. How can we flush it? Can we use any chemicals to remove the scale without damaging the heat elements or the boiler tank?

You'll probably have to pull out one of the lower heating elements and clean the crud out by hand. You'll need someone with small hands--mine barely fit and I'm no giant. You can then use a de-scaler to clean the waterbox, but do not turn the elements on while de-scaling! Instead, dump the condensate return and fill it from your HLT. Not only when you clean but after you flush. Your HLT will remove most of the O2 from the water, if your system is hot enough.

You'll need a new gasket for the element. Might be a good idea to have an extra element or two on hand. Not cheap, and only available from Sussman.

Removing the elements can be difficult due to the build-up of scale on them. I use an improvised slide-hammer for this: pry the element out an inch or two, them tie a piece of baling twine (or other non-stretching cord or cable) around the element so it forms a loop about two feet long, insert a 1-2 lb hammer, and start driving the element out.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
      You'll probably have to pull out one of the lower heating elements and clean the crud out by hand. You'll need someone with small hands--mine barely fit and I'm no giant. You can then use a de-scaler to clean the waterbox, but do not turn the elements on while de-scaling! Instead, dump the condensate return and fill it from your HLT. Not only when you clean but after you flush. Your HLT will remove most of the O2 from the water, if your system is hot enough.

You'll need a new gasket for the element. Might be a good idea to have an extra element or two on hand. Not cheap, and only available from Sussman.

Removing the elements can be difficult due to the build-up of scale on them. I use an improvised slide-hammer for this: pry the element out an inch or two, them tie a piece of baling twine (or other non-stretching cord or cable) around the element so it forms a loop about two feet long, insert a 1-2 lb hammer, and start driving the element out.

Wow, it seems you have already experienced it

Are the gasket special sussman gaskets or can I buy them for example from Graiger or online BreweryGasket.com?
      thank you
      Carlo

Comment

Working...
      X