Foster QD Fittings--Warning!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foster QD Fittings--Warning!

I recently replaced all our QD fitting for gasses--O2 and CO2--with Foster brand self-closing fittings. These were advertised as "Stainless Steel". The body and ring are SS, but the retaining balls are the fastest rusting steel I've ever seen. After two weeks in use, the balls are completely rusted and sticking to the male fittings, making it very difficult to use the QDs.

I've found SS balls to replace them with at McMasters-Carr, and they're cheap, but still..... Oh, and the retaining ring that holds the thing together is rusting, too. Fortunately, it went flying and utterly vanished into another dimension, but I'm having little luck finding replacements for it.

If anyone bought these on my advice, I sincerely apologize. If I can help find parts, let me know.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Wish I could say these were better but they ain't. Bearings are rusting out after about six months.

http://www.grainger.com/product/SPEEDAIRE-Universal-Quick-Coupler-Body-WP172659/_/N-/Ntt-stainless+quick+connect?sst=subset&s_pp=false&picU rl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/30E537_AS01?$smthumb$
    Russell Everett
    Co-Founder / Head Brewer
    Bainbridge Island Brewing
    Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Russel-- McMasters-Carr has SS balls, pretty cheap. The ones that are closest to the balls in my Fosters are 5mm. Good luck getting the retaining rings off without losing them! I'll let y'all know how it goes when I try to swap out the rusting balls for the SS ones. Wish me luck!
      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Oops

Well, the balls in my Foster fittings are not 5mm, but 3/16". My calipers aren't up to the job of accurately measuring tiny rusty mystery balls. These are the ones I used to replace the rusty ones I had: McMaster-Carr # 9529K13--hardened, polished 440C SS. They come in a package of 100, so if anyone else needs some, let me know. I'll drop 'em in an envelope and mail 'em, and you can buy me a beer someday.
        Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
        Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
        X