Replacing Heat Exchanger Gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Heat Exchanger Gaskets

When I was doing some cleaning the other day, I found a considerable leak in my heat exchanger.

The brewery I bought the equipment from was kind enough to have new gaskets kicking around, and dropped them in with the equipment. This should've been my first hint!

Given that I've never replaced heat exchanger gaskets before, I'm wondering who's got tips for doing this the right way the first time around?

All advice & info is well appreciated. Thanks.

David Rudge
    Half Pints Brewing Company

First, never try replacing any less than all at the same time. (Same for filter plate gaskets.) The new ones would get so compressed before the old ones seal that the new ones are destroyed.
    Get the right glue, and although I can't remember what it is, I trust others here do.

Comment

I don´t envy you

I assume you mean a wort cooler right? This is a doable task. Whatever you do, do not mix up the order of the plates.

Comment

I've done it once with ours. Make sure you have a complete set of gaskets, of the right temperature range, before you start. When taking it apart you will invariably tear or stretch a gasket that was fine before you began. One trick to make sure you get the plates back in the right order - tape off and spray paint a diagonal line across the top of the plates - if you get one backwards later it will be obvious from the paint mark being in the wrong place. Then clean it and put it back together. It helps if you lay the heat exchanger on its side so the plates are horizontal. Then tighten the nuts evenly, in a star pattern like on a spare tire, so that the frame is tightened evenly.

Good luck. A brewery here in town told me they tried to replace one gasket in their heat exchanger once and ended up having to buy a new heat exchanger. But it shouldn't be that bad.
        Linus Hall
        Yazoo Brewing
        Nashville, TN
        www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

I've had to bust into my heat exchanger a couple of times and I highly recommend numbering the plates in one of the top corners. A little etching tool will do the trick, or maybe even a sharpie?

Most importantly, measure the exact width at several points around the body of the H.E. before you break into it. Then you'll know exactly how far to tighten it back down.
          Hutch Kugeman
          Head Brewer
          Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
          Hyde Park, NY

Comment

This is great! Thanks for the tips guys. Anybody else have some directions?

Comment

I would suggest you contact Leon at Axzia Inc.

In addition to manufacturing plate exchangers, they have a rebuild center where they rebuild, re-gasket, and reassemble units too.

I am sure Leon would be happy to provide "free" tips and suggestions. He might be a good source for replacement gaskets too.

TEL: (253) 826-7862
              FAX: (253) 826-7963
              Toll Free (877) 82 AXZIA

Good luck,

Jim

Comment

The suggestions of using an engraving tool and spraypaint to maintain plate order are great, however, I must advise against the use of a sharpie. I tried this once, and the PBW that I was soaking the plates in before reassembly removed the marks. I was extremely lucky that I layed them in the soaking tub in order.

Comment

Yeah, I forgot about measuring the distance between the plates. Our heat exchanger actually has minimum and maximum distances for you to tighten the plates down to, if you go too far you can damage the plates.
                  Linus Hall
                  Yazoo Brewing
                  Nashville, TN
                  www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Working...
                  X