Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help connecting an Economist DS24 Burner

Hey Everyone,

Trying to get my Economite DS24 burner up and running. My electrician doesn't have experience with this type of burner exactly but says it appears we are missing the thermostat for this unit. Hoping for some insight or reccomendations on the right kind of thermostats.

Attached to the burner is a Honeywell S87D Direct fire ignition.

I've included pictures of the said parts
    Attached Files

I just use an on off switch with a timer

Comment

Originally posted by handbrewedbeer View Post
      Hey Everyone,

Trying to get my Economite DS24 burner up and running. My electrician doesn't have experience with this type of burner exactly but says it appears we are missing the thermostat for this unit. Hoping for some insight or reccomendations on the right kind of thermostats.

Attached to the burner is a Honeywell S87D Direct fire ignition.

I've included pictures of the said parts
      The wiring diagram shows the t-stat connected in series with a secondary limit switch (which may not be present, or may be a toggle switch to "turn off or on") and the 25 volt power supply. Where do the red and yellow wires go? As the previous poster (and I've seen lots of others on Probrewer say the same), sometimes there's no thermostat; you turn the burner on manually. I'm not sure how well a T-stat would work on a kettle anyway...someone mentioned previously (Russell Everett maybe?) they used it to shut the burner off and sound an alarm just before it comes to a boil, so you can be careful at that critical point. You manually turn the burner on after that. But once you're at a boil, I don't think a thermostat is useful.

Regards,
      Mike Sharp

Comment

Originally posted by rdcpro View Post
        The wiring diagram shows the t-stat connected in series with a secondary limit switch (which may not be present, or may be a toggle switch to "turn off or on") and the 25 volt power supply. Where do the red and yellow wires go? As the previous poster (and I've seen lots of others on Probrewer say the same), sometimes there's no thermostat; you turn the burner on manually. I'm not sure how well a T-stat would work on a kettle anyway...someone mentioned previously (Russell Everett maybe?) they used it to shut the burner off and sound an alarm just before it comes to a boil, so you can be careful at that critical point. You manually turn the burner on after that. But once you're at a boil, I don't think a thermostat is useful.

Regards,
        Mike Sharp
        Agree, we just have a temp controller and an on/off switch. While running off the temp is set to 210F so it will shutoff before it comes to a boil. Then the controller is bumped up to 215 or w/e you wish for the boil, it doesn't matter at that point as long as its above whatever your kettle reaches so the burner remains on. Also very handy for pre heating water over night. I know what I lose in temp over night in the kettle so I just adjust the controller to the temp for strike water if I'm double batching and change the value at which it will fire again. The kettle will usually kick back on in the morning just before I get in and be at temp.

Comment

Originally posted by soia1138 View Post
          Agree, we just have a temp controller and an on/off switch. While running off the temp is set to 210F so it will shutoff before it comes to a boil. Then the controller is bumped up to 215 or w/e you wish for the boil, it doesn't matter at that point as long as its above whatever your kettle reaches so the burner remains on. Also very handy for pre heating water over night. I know what I lose in temp over night in the kettle so I just adjust the controller to the temp for strike water if I'm double batching and change the value at which it will fire again. The kettle will usually kick back on in the morning just before I get in and be at temp.
          Nice. I have the same think and have been trying to figure out what controller to use. Which temp controller do you use ?

Comment

Originally posted by lucasmiddleton View Post
            Nice. I have the same think and have been trying to figure out what controller to use. Which temp controller do you use ?
            We are using the Auber SYL-2362 controllers on the brewhouse panel. http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=106

Comment

The manual and replacement parts list is here:

I like to install a gas modulator valve to control the burn.
              Butterfly Valve Low Pressure Drop Valve The Midco Butterfly Valve is a low pressure drop valve suitable for control of either air or gas flow up to 5 PSI pr ...

http://www.lesman.com/acatalog/Modut...ml#aM7284A1038 (Not sure which model number I used last!) but used a pot to control if I remember?
              Todd G Hicks
              BeerDenizen Brewing Services

Comment

Thanks all for the information

We got it wired up and it eventually got running. Having problems getting pilot to light consistently but I think I might have a gunked up gas valve. The Honeywell V845a2000. Just might need to be replaced.

Comment

Working...
                X