FV Temperature in Cone Section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FV Temperature in Cone Section

I have 5 BBL FV's with one jacket that starts at the cone and goes most of the way up the side wall. I believe one jacket is the standard design for the smaller FV's. The normal glycol piping design appears to have the cold glycol coming in the bottom of the jacket and leaving out the top.

On a recent batch we noticed every time the temperature controller opened to cool the FV by about 2 degrees, all bubbling from fermentation would stop for a few hours.

This was strange so I did a test with water on an open fermenter. I found that when the glycol solution (at 40F) enters the cone section jacket from the bottom it cools the liquid in cone part of the FV to 55F. This colder liquid sinks to the bottom and the temperature by the temp probe will still show 68F. It's not until the whole cone is cooled to a low temperature, does the temperature controller close the glycol valve. The upper part of the FV will only be cooled slightly. After a few hours the FV temperature will average out.

Has anyone else found that having the cold glycol solution coming in from the bottom cools the cone section too much, while leaving the upper section warmer?

The Temperature probe is just above the transition from cone to straight wall. If the glycol enters from the top, this over cooling of the cone section does not occur. I realize if the fermentation is active enough this will not make much of a difference as the liquid will be able to mix, but if the yeast is fermenting in the cone section then it can be over cooled and become dormant, even though the average FV temp is 68F.
    Jason
    Scholb Premium Ales

Using the cone jacket to cool our fermenters results in stratification every time. The only time we use them now is to cool incoming wort when the KO temp is a little high.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Thank you for the info. That's good you can turn off the cone.
      Jason
      Scholb Premium Ales

Comment

We have a ball-valve on the cone jacket so we can manually turn it on when the center jacket circuit is on.

Just out of curiousitly, isn't 40F pretty high for glycol temp? We run outs around 27, and I think most do.
        Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
        Terminal Gravity Brewing,
        Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Correct, 40F is warm for a glycol chiller. I'm running 40F until I actually add glycol to the loop, it's just water for the time being. Although it's a good thing we didn't go to 27F since that may have frozen the beer in the cone.

Can anyone with an FV with a single zone that includes cone and cylinder sections comment on their experience?
          Jason
          Scholb Premium Ales

Comment

Working...
          X