Hammer Mill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammer Mill?

I have been looking for a mill for awhile now and have been confronted by a friend about a hammer mill that he has laying around. He would give it to me if I needed it but i have never heard of anyone using one of these mills. Any feedback would be great!!

Thanks

Kyle

Hammer mills are generally used for Mash filters, it would depend on what sort of lauter plates you have ,because of the fine grist you may run into run off problems , they can also damage the husk leading to extraction of polyphenols..

I would try to find out if it can be adjusted.

Good luck

Comment

Membrane filtration

Typically only large scale industrial breweries choose for hammer mills or wet milling. The idea behind wet milling is that there is less contact between the air and the milled malt, resulting is less oxidation. Hammer mills are chosen because they have better yield than roller mills. Unfortunately combining hammer mills with a regular lauter filter bottom is not possible. You will need a membrane filter in combination with hammer mills in order to get wort clarification.

Post a picture of your hammer mill if you see the chance.

BelgianBrewer
      Last edited by BelgianBrewer; 04-05-2008, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Thanks again

Thanks again for all the feedback. This mill would have been quite the overkill for my size brewery.

Kyle

Comment

Working...
        X