Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chiller Installation Design...Indoor and Outdoor Install Possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiller Installation Design...Indoor and Outdoor Install Possible?

Hello. There is some great info on these forums, but I have a few unanswered questions about installing a chiller. I am hoping someone here with more knowledge can point me in the right direction on some of the questions below. See attached for a rough diagram of what I have planned. Note the secondary chiller location inside the unit. I am hoping to have two spots, one outside in the summer and one inside in the winter to A) keep heating costs down and B) avoid spending $$$$ on the low ambient package. Both spots will be piped and valved off accordingly. Any potential issues with this plan? The chiller is easily moved with a forklift.

Here is where I am...
    -In possession of a 34 ton McQuay (AGZ034BS) chiller
    -Awaiting manufacturing of 2 x 130 BBL insulated and jacketed FV's (flow rate = 2.1 - 3.2 gpm with a 3 PSI pressure drop, 3/4" inlet and outlet connections)
    -Still deciding on what to do about a brite tank, leaning torwards a 60 BBL refurbished dairy tank, insulated and jacketed

Questions I am still trying to figure out...
    -What size supply and return headers should I use? I would like to use PVC schedule 80 to keep the cost down.
    -Can I use pex to go from the headers to the tanks (the tank connections may be as far as 10-20' from the headers due to the layout of the space and the height of the tanks)? I assume it should be 3/4" to match the inlet/outlet sizes?
    -How should the pex be supported? I was told that PVC is required by code to be supported every 6 feet, not sure about pex though.
    -What pressure for the pressure relief valve?
    -What size storage tank?
    -What size pumps? Centrifugal I assume?

Link to download design layout and pictures (too big to attach here): https://www.dropbox.com/s/2d5a3gjlbp...l%20Design.pdf

Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by DowneastCider; 04-26-2013, 07:11 AM. Reason: added attachment
Working...
X