Beer line math

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer line math

How do y'all pressurize lines between the keg & the bar?

All lines, same length (the distance to furthest keg from the tap), right? Otherwise, you'd need a separate regulator per keg, right?

You need to over-pressure the keg, to overcome line-resistance, right? By which I mean: if the beer was carbonated at, say, 12 psi at 38F, but you have 20' 3/16" lines, you're going to need to run 24-30 psi (depending on pour speed), right? ...And that doesn't over-carbonate the beer?

Is there a formula/calculator to help-out with the keg-pressure math, based on line-size and length (and elevation keg-to-tap, etc.)?

Am I totally off the rails, here? Am I thinking about it all wrong?

Context: I'm drawing plans for my 1st taproom (formerly wholesale only) and trying to sort out the details of this part.

Thanks!
    ~Ted

Ted,

The Brewers Association has a free publication called "Draught Beer Quality Manual" that will answer all of the questions you asked. I am not sure if it is members only, but even if it is then worth the cost of membership alone.

We are currently building our brewery and tap room and found this manual to be indispensable.

Neal

Comment

BA Draught Beer Quality Manual PDF appears to be free.
      Cheers!
      Banjo Bandolas
      Probrewer.com
      v- 541-284-5500
      banjo@probrewer.com

Comment

Yes, you are off the rails.

Comment

Sorry to be slow in getting back. Re-found this thread while double-checking things and wanted to say thanks for the pointer to the draft guide -- it's great!

Comment

Working...
          X