Sanitation mistake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanitation mistake

My brewery is currently pretty dark and we are brewing at night. I had a bucket of iodine sanitizing some hose and apparently at some point in the night some grain got into the bucket. I saw that the iodine had turned blue when the sun came up. How does this effect the sanitizing properties of iodine?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Justin

Not to worry. In sanitation circles this is known as the "werewolf effect." I think you will find that your grain is clean and well sanitized.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Doyle View Post
      I think you will find that your grain is clean and well sanitized.
      Further, as iodine is the standard lab indicator for starch, you have proved your grain contains abundant starch

The blue colour is a complex formed between starch and iodine. Depending on the amount of grain that got into the bucket, you may be better to use a fresh batch of iodine (if there were only a few grains, it shouldn't be badly affected, however).

Maybe invest in a lid for your bucket?

Comment

Originally posted by justin View Post
        My brewery is currently pretty dark and we are brewing at night. I had a bucket of iodine sanitizing some hose and apparently at some point in the night some grain got into the bucket. I saw that the iodine had turned blue when the sun came up. How does this effect the sanitizing properties of iodine?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Justin
        You should steer away from using iodine for disinfecting hose - PAA or something like Active from Holchem is better as a soak bath disinfectant.

Comment

ummm, howa bout OHSA and proper lighting in the workplace? This is a real safety hazzard and should be fixed immediatly.
          Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
          tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
          "Your results may vary"

Comment

Working...
          X