Fermenter head space question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fermenter head space question

Opening a 15bbl brewery... I'm a home brewer so forgive me on this question... Was planning on 15bbl fermenters and brites. Well Ive come across a few 30bbl fermenters that are too good to pass up. I'm not even considering doing double batches yet. Is there a limit to head space in the fermenters, if I only do 15bbl batches, should I be concerned with all the extra space?

Thank you for the help.

The issue is really not the amount of headspace per se. Rather the location and coverage of jackets and thermowell. Otherwise I can't see why you couldn't do half batches, anyone else have some insight?. Personal experience, I have done plenty of 5bbl batches in 10bbl tanks and had no issues but the geometry of your 30's might be different.
    Luch Scremin
    Engine 15 Brewing Co.
    luch at engine15 dot com

Comment

Depends on the tank, but a 1/2 batch in a 30 should be alright. I've done 20 bbl batches in 60's before that worked well.

Do they have jackets on the cone? Are they 2 zone or 3 zone jackets? Crash cooling will be your only issue, I think.

Comment

The first brewery I worked at, we did 20 bbls into 40s, for the first couple months.(ps...now they've ordered more tanks) It's just a bit more CO2 for headspace and transfer, packaging. They say to get as big as you can stand upfront, because you're gonna wish you had... (hopefully). As long as your brewhouse and your tanks match pretty well, and your probes are covered with your smallest batches. Make sure you have height to spare in the brewery, and your glycol can carry it.... Make sure also your marketing/sales plan can carry the beer, the cold box can store it... If yes to all (and the investors have enough buckets of cash). I say...go big or go home....

Good luck....

Phil

Comment

Thank you everyone!

Comment

Working...
          X