zahm temperatures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zahm temperatures

Looking for some advice on Zahm temperature fluctuations during sampling...

I was finally able to break down and get a Zahm for the brewery several months back. It's been a great help in dialing in CO2 levels in our beers. I have been using it on our single wall serving tanks that double as brites inside a walk-in cooler. Works like a charm. I am starting to transition to a standard jacketed brite tank in the brewery itself, and now my Zahm sampling process is all out of whack...

I chill the thing in the cooler, hook it up and fill just as I did before (all according to the Zahm procedure). However since its 95° in the brewery the thing is constantly changing temperature and it is hard to reach a good equilibrium while shaking. The more I shake, the warmer it gets, and thus the higher the gauge (and thermometer) keep going.

I know this sounds stupid but it's starting to get frustrating. Using the Zahm in the cooler couldn't be easier (or more consistent). Now that I'm using it in the hot ass brewery, not so much....

Any tips?
    Scott LaFollette
    Fifty West Brewing Company
    Cincinnati, Ohio

can you fill at the tank and then do your shaking, etc. in the walk in?

Comment

Duh... I should have thought of that... I'll give that a try...

Thanks!
      Scott LaFollette
      Fifty West Brewing Company
      Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by yap View Post
        Duh... I should have thought of that... I'll give that a try...

Thanks!
        Did you end up having any luck with this? Our brewery is sweltering hot as well and our Zahm readings just don't feel accurate. A beer that tastes perfectly carbed will register way high.

Comment

Maintenance

Really important to maintain the instrument properly...it's very sensitive in fact.

Like most other instruments around the brewery, if you want accurate, repeatable results...calibrate, calibrate, calibrate.

For the Z&N its really important that the gaskets are in good shape, unit is holding pressure/gauge box is lubricated, instrument is clean and debris-free inside of cylinder, and plunger is well-lubricated. We take it apart at least once a month, soak in warm soapy water and check gaskets/replace gaskets.

If all that is in check and your protocol for testing is solid and repeatable every time...then you should have a good reference point on the results you get. It took a few weeks to really dial it in.

The piston does not lube up very well when it's stored in a freezer...so at the sacrifice of a few pints (maybe 3-4), i let beer flow thru the instrument until the temp gauge settles out. I'm not sure if being inside of a cold room versus on your cellar floor will make that much difference....my cellar floor is consistently above 85degF with 86%RH...it's f*%king hot...

Have a cold one and taste the carbonation!

Cheers!
          Alex Postelnek, Lead Brewer
          Funky Buddha Brewery
          Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33334
          (561) 945 - 4584
          alex@funkybuddhabrewery.com

Comment

Working...
          X