Co2 Connection for Fermenters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Co2 Connection for Fermenters

New to pro-brewing here and I am setting up my co2 system for tank purging and force carbonation. I am looking to see what people are doing for co2 connections. My thought is to use a co2 regulator from the main line off the bulk tank, to a quick connect fitting (similar to an air compressor connection), and then to the co2 line. The co2 line will run to a similar connection off a tri clamp connection with a ball valve to control flow. Any other ideas?

Start with a good primary regulator from the tank or bulk system to your main line. I like to keep this set to ~125 psi, as it allows me more choices in line materials--these days, I'm plumbing most new additions with O2-barrier PEX. Make the main 3/4" or more. Then a secondary reg at or near the ferm,set to your desired working pressure--1/2" is fine for the drop from the main.

For QD fittings, I use 1/4" Stainless Foster fittings with a one-way shut-off in the female fitting. This keeps air and brewery bugs out of the line when it's not in use (I buy these from Murdock Industrial, the female fitting is 3003S/S Foster Quick Disconnect Socket 3003S/S). One warning--the balls that lock the female fitting to the male are not stainless and will quickly rust and jam. I found some 440C stainless 5/32(?) balls at McMaster Carr and I swap them out--not really all that fun, but it gets me what I want.

All other tubing connections are John Guest style push-fits. I use 3/8" ID PE tubing (Parker Parflex PE) for the flexible lines from the secondary reg to the ferm, as it's cheap to replace.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

thank you!

Comment

Oh, yeah--Parker also makes some excellent QD fittings--their Stainless ones are actually Stainless throughout. Unfortunately, they run ~$40, compared to ~$15 for the Fosters.

If you get the Foster fittings, let me know and I'll send you some 440C stainless balls to fit, and some hints on getting the danged things apart--I've done a couple dozen.
        Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
        Terminal Gravity Brewing,
        Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
        X