"Acceptable" Used Stainless Steel Vessels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Acceptable" Used Stainless Steel Vessels

What is considered "acceptable" stainless steel vessels for HLT, MLT, and BK? I'm on the hunt for used stainless steel vessels and there is quite a bit out there for sale. How do I know what can and cannot be repurposed for a brewery? Who makes that determination?

Originally posted by petskullbrewing View Post
    What is considered "acceptable" stainless steel vessels for HLT, MLT, and BK? I'm on the hunt for used stainless steel vessels and there is quite a bit out there for sale. How do I know what can and cannot be repurposed for a brewery? Who makes that determination?

I've repurposed an old pharmaceutical tank into a mash tun, that ultimately I'm not using as I bought a brew house that had a mash tun. But its really up to you, a lot of people like old dairy tanks as they have a lot of the same sanitary fittings and are usually of quality steel, but are rectangle (a lot of them at least)

You can order manways and ferrules (gwkent is a good source) to weld onto the tanks to convert anything, just make sure its 304/316.
    Thanks,
    Eulie

Comment

Thanks, Eulie. The tanks I've stumbled upon were used to store water-based ink. I'd have to buy them solely on viewing pictures and I just want to make sure I can clean them so that they can be repurposed for HTL, MLT, and BK. Any thoughts?

Comment

beyond the metal quality, the usual concern is if they're pressure rated or not. Dairy and Pharma stuff is very often high quality, but without pressure rating you're limited as to what you can do in them. Sounds like that's not an issue for you. We found a 1600 gallon Mueller Milk Cooler that we use a CLT now. The quality is exceptional and it cools and holds temperature very well. It's not pressure rated but we don't need it to be.

Make sure if it's missing parts than you can find parts for it. The Mueller tank we got was missing a few things, but they were very widely used and spare parts were easy to find. Mueller was even very helpful sending us documentation etc even though we weren't actually making a purchase from them. Other no name tanks found in a salvage yard somewhere, you might be looking at having to have things fabricated etc.

Not sure about the ink thing and getting that out!

Comment

Working...
        X