Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Glycol Line Chiller in loop

Hi There,

First off, let me say thank you to all the brewers out there, ive been lurking for a long time and as i get closer to production, i can only imagine ill be relying on you fine folks more and more.

That being said, im starting a budget Nano. I have a plan for controlling my fermenters and id like to swing it at you guys to make sure my concept is sound. Ill be using 4 5bbl/10bbl plastic conicals with coils inside. I will brew 2 2bblish batches into each fermenter 2 days in a row to start until we upgrade to a 5-7bbl system. Im figured my load will likely be 1 high active fermenter, 1 dwindling active fermenter, and 1 cold crashing fermenter at any given time. I did the math and a 1/2 to 3/4 HP perlick Glycol line chiller should suit my needs. Ill shoot a 5 foot SS thermowell into each fermenter with a sensor that runs to an Auber ramp/soak PID controlling Solenoids attached to a PVC loop.

There is a couple of things im unsure of, because i havent really seen anyone using line chillers with a loop, with coils.
    1) what size coil would be best? i have 1/4, 5/16ths, 3/8ths or 1/2 coils as potential options.

2) how do you size the loop? would it be based off the coil size or just go as big as possible?

3) will changing the line barb sizes on the chiller(ive seen this often mentioned) lower the pressure on these units to allow more consistant use?

4) im sure i have other questions, but i cant think of them. If you have any input just add it on!

Cheers,
    Jeff Marquis
    Granite Coast Brewing Company
Working...
X