CPE "Dry Hopper" pump (MH-20HIS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPE "Dry Hopper" pump (MH-20HIS)

Was hoping to get some feedback on this dry hopping pump from CPE Systems. If anyone has experience or purchased this unit, I'd love to hear how well it works.

Thanks,
    Mike

I bought one. The results have been mixed so far but we've only had it for about 3 weeks. It works great for adding fruit puree. We haven't quite figured out the art of dry hopping with it yet. CPE said they should go in dry with no issue. We can't get it to work that way, however we have been able to let beer back up into the hopper to create a slurry with the hops and they go in much easier. We did go with the slightly bigger pump and I'm very pleased with the pump itself. We just haven't quite figured out the hopper yet. I'm curious as to if anyone has had any luck getting the hops to go in without making a slurry.

Comment

I'm assuming the bottom of the hopper is getting clogged or the pellets are getting stuck?

So the theory was it worked like a Venturi sucking the pellets down into the recirc line. Also, I'm assuming the hopper is under pressure in order to not let beer back up. If you are doing a slurry, could it hold 44# to make a slurry that wouldn't clog the bottom T?

I know they also have a shredder pump but the sales guy said he wouldn't recommend that one. Plus the pump can only be used for shredding and not around the brewhouse.

Comment

Originally posted by GulfSide View Post
        I bought one. The results have been mixed so far but we've only had it for about 3 weeks. It works great for adding fruit puree. We haven't quite figured out the art of dry hopping with it yet. CPE said they should go in dry with no issue. We can't get it to work that way, however we have been able to let beer back up into the hopper to create a slurry with the hops and they go in much easier. We did go with the slightly bigger pump and I'm very pleased with the pump itself. We just haven't quite figured out the hopper yet. I'm curious as to if anyone has had any luck getting the hops to go in without making a slurry.
        We have heard this from other customers as well, so we have added a pneumatic vibrator to help feed the hops in and eliminate the bridging problem you mention. If you contact us we can send you one at no-cost that you can easily install on your hopper.
        Your CPE Systems Team!
        CPE Systems Inc.
        800-668-2268
        CPEsystems.com
        Thinkpumps.com
        sales@cpesystems.com

Comment

Originally posted by GulfSide View Post
          This hopper looks similar to the Rolec DH range of dry hoppers. They are fairly easy to use, but they are sensitive to pressure differentials. We set or hopper chamber to 15psi and the FV to 14.5psi with no pump running. Note that the FV pressure is the pressure on the inlet of the dry hopper AND NOT the pressure gauge on the FV. Once you turn your pump on, cock your inlet butterfly valve to about half, you will see the inlet pressure drop. This will allow for the beer passing underneath the dry hop chamber to not enter the hops chamber.
          Open the valve underneath the dry hop chamber fully and keep adjusting your inlet butterfly valve to regulate the amount of hops/beer flow. You will note that if the dry hopper chamber has too much pressure, it will keep blowing CO2 into the beer stream and no hops. If your inlet beer pressure is too close to the pressure of the dry hopper, no pellets will go into the beer stream and beer will likely fill the dry hopper chamber etc. etc.

Hopefully this helps. PM me if you need more help.

Cheers

Comment

We're considering getting one of these.

Any further reports/experience?
            Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
            Terminal Gravity Brewing,
            Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Same Problem - No Fix

On paper it looks like a great answer to the problem of climbing 14' with sacks of hops. In practice it is an entirely different story. While there may be a learning curve with all new tools, a better response from the company would go a long way to making customers feel like they were not taken advantage of. Waiting several days for a tech response to work out the problems.

Comment

We no longer use ours for dry hopping. This machine is only used as an additional CIP pump for us.

Comment

Working...
                X