Plastic Kegs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tariq khan
    I remember this discussion a while back and this past summer we had solved some of the problems we were having. We found a shive that doesn't come out easily (white longtail plastic) and started soaking the casks in caustic solution for at least 24 hours. They are difficult to clean but problems were solved with a bit of preparation.

Hi Tariq - there are a load of UK micros out there who now have little else but plastic, so I would imagine that 24hr caustic soaks are a bit too much hassle for them (the brewery that I hire out to brew my beer use a modified diesel-fired steam pressure-washer lance to wash theirs).

These casks although sometimes difficult to use proved to be efficient in shipping beer abroad. It also takes the worry of trying to get costly stainless casks back.

I hope I didn't paint a negative picture of them but we did have some problems initially, I've had some great tasting beers from Plastic casks....

I was at a CAMRA mtg tonight where the consensus was to ban plastics from their annual fest, but I think it's going to seriously limit the no. of breweries that they can choose from. I missed the debate about why, so while I can guess, I'm curious as to what the problems are,

Tariq (formerly of Dark Star Brewery...planning to continue brewing in Vancouver, B.C. Canada !)
    Good luck! (& I may well PM you to get some more info about how you were using the plastics, etc)
    cheers
    MikeMcG.
    (formerly of a RobJones/DarkStar built micro - CityOfCambridge)

Comment

keg costs ss vs plastic

If you look at the cost per litre per keg trip of delivered product in one-way plastic kegs compared to ss there is in cases a differential of up to 4 times on long haul 'export' shipments. Even a saving of 40 cents per litre per keg trip on 30,000 (x30L) kegs pa - is money in the bank!

Comment

So I was at the CBC last week and saw the plastic kegs and am wondering if it is worth making a switch. Is anyone else out there going to convert to these? Or have you tried the latest ones? The price seems right, as does the reduced weight and reduced threat to be stolen. But I'm worried about them cracking and with all recent reports about plastic not being as inert as we thought I'm not sure I can responsibly store beer in a plastic keg that could lead to plastic leaching.

joel

Comment

For now one year I use the Ecokeg from Schaefer : http://www.schaefer-container-system...rs/eco-keg.htm

and I don't have any problems with them.

The only degradation was at the beginning of their use when I let too much time some chlore alcaline on the surface before rincing so it makes some traces (so it was not more shining). But it's little trouble for all the facilities of their use.

Comment

I'm a bit confused - the eco-kegs I'd seen online were almost entirely made out of plastic, but the link you mention "consists of a stainless steel liner with polypropylene rings at the top and bottom" i.e. from the pics the inner keg seems to be made from SS, with only the outer top & bottom being plastic.

The kegs prev mentioned here, I think are EcoKeg Pty Ltd's shown here http://www.onewaykeg.com/main.php

I can't see much of a problem with an SS-lined keg with plastic moulded top & bottoms, but I'm a bit more concerned for various reasons about a one-trip all-plastic keg.
            cheers,
            Mike McG

who, many moons ago went for an interview to brew at 'The Frog Pubs' in Paris.

Comment

Sorry, It seems that I have read too quickly the post

Comment

I take you mean that you are using the Schaeffer kegs then?

No problem, though - it's always good & interesting to hear what someone else is using & having good results with.
                cheers
                MikeMcG

Comment

the kegs I saw at the convention are all plastic and aren't a one way keg. pricing is only $55 for a 1/6 bbl and $75 for a 15.5

the link to them is here?

anyone using these kegs? I believe they got their start in the UK.

Joel

Comment

Well the company behind them has a UK (Hereford) base - they trade as CypherCo -

http://www.cypherco.com/ (site being refurbed)

I've used the UK firkin casks loads of times (& seen them improving the design over a few years) but I've not yet seen the kegs over here; when we spoke to them a few months ago, we were told they were still in development - it seems that's done now!
                    cheers

Comment

I meant to say, I got a PM via probrewer from a UK chap involved in developing a reusable plastic keg, but I don't think it's from the same co. - I hope to get more detail soon.
                      cheers
                      MikeMcG

Comment

Originally posted by jvandenbrink
                        the kegs I saw at the convention are all plastic and aren't a one way keg. pricing is only $55 for a 1/6 bbl and $75 for a 15.5
                        The price sure is tough to beat. New plastic kegs or used SS kegs......ahhh more choices.

Originally posted by jvandenbrink
                        ......and with all recent reports about plastic not being as inert as we thought I'm not sure I can responsibly store beer in a plastic keg that could lead to plastic leaching.
                        The plastic in question is Bisphenol A. The wiki explanation notes that the potential danger is pre puberty. Is this what everyone else has gathered? If this were the case then consumers drinking beer are not listed as "at risk"....right?

matt g

post edit: reading further down the wiki page shows the lack of evidence and scientific consensus. But the negative findings are disconcerting. The "Restrictions and discontinuance" section of the wiki article is revealing in its list of major companies that have discontinued the use.
                        Last edited by SRB; 04-22-2008, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Is Bisphenol A even a part of the keg manufacturing?
                          All that is listed at plastic kegs.com is "Poly-tech" Does that mean it is a ploycarbonate? Polycarbonates are made with Bisphenol A.
                          Last edited by SRB; 04-22-2008, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Plastic Kegs America

All:

I helped CypherCo develop said plastic kegs, but not the firkins/pins. I put the original proto-types through all-types of situations and everytime I found an area of concern, Simon modified the design and made it better. I tested them for two years and ten times out of ten blind tasting proved a better tasting beer with plastic verses stainless. I infected the plastic kegs with lacto/pedio/mold/slim and fruit beers and then washed them right along side of a stainless keg on our SMS keg washer and they held up nicely. Recent development has proven they survive steam sterilization found on high production lines...I have two (1/6th and 1/2 bbl) kegs I will personally run on a 'big boys' line and will post my findings.

I am not an employee of PKA or CypherCo nor do I get a kick back of any sales (wish I did!)...as an ex-corporate executive for BJ's I was charged with finding a viable solution to cooperage loss due to 're-cycling'

These kegs are not one way kegs. BJ's has had them in normal ditribution channels for the last year and just ordered a huge amount more.

Please contact me directly if you need more information and I'll either answer your quiry or pass it on to Simon.

Here's to Beer!

Owen Williams
                            Successful Brewery Consulting
                            OwenBrews@yahoo.com

Comment

very interesting stuff, Owen.

We've decided not to keg for a while yet, until we can afford the extra plant, but plan to in the near-ish future, so we will seriously look at these.

Do you know are they / will they be available in the UK.
                              cheers
                              MikeMcG

Comment

Plastic kegs in UK

Yes, they are being used...Please call/email Simon 1-310-310-2603 or simon.wheaton@plastickegsamerica for details

Owen

Comment

Working...
                                X