New to 3bbl system, looking for advice on reusing yeast from conical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to 3bbl system, looking for advice on reusing yeast from conical

So, like the title says, i am new to the 3bbl conical and close to being ready to catch the yeast,,,, Please tell me if im missing something here... 1-After fermentation is complete i catch the good yeast from the bottom of the conical 2- store it close to 32 degrees until i am ready to pitch into the next batch 3- allow yeast to warm to the exact temp of wort 4- oxygenate yeast and wort 5- pitch into the new batch of wort..... is that all there is to it?

Also, say that i have just collected yeast from fv1 and have a new batch of wort ready to be pitched in fv2. If both batches are the same style could i simply collect the yeast from the bottom of fv1 and dump directly onto the new wort in fv2? (assuming temps are correct) - Thanks, seems like im missing something here

I wouldn't say you are missing something. In the end, there is multiple ways to skin a cat and I have seen people do this procedure multiple ways. Here is how I do it:

1. Once fermentation is complete, I cool the tank to 60ºF.
    2. Depending on how bad I need yeast, I may wait a day to ensure as much of the yeast has floc'd. Or you can harvest warm (i.e fermentation temps).
    3. To prevent channeling through the cone, I usually maintain around 2-4PSI of CO2 in the head space.
    4. Clean and sanitize the dump port and then dump off a bit of the bottom to make sure you have clean yeast. I always taste mine to make sure.
    5. Then connect to your brink or keg and harvest. Metric system is awesome here since you can harvest by weight and convert directly to volume.
    6. For storage purposes, throw it in the cold storage and degas every now and then. Usually a brink can last about a week before you see major cell death. Obviously, YMMV.
    7. On brew day, I pull the brink after mash in and let it warm up. It doesn't need to be the EXACT temp, but within reason to prevent shocking them too much.
    8. With the size of your FVs, go ahead and knockout like you normally do with oxygen. You dont need to oxygenate the yeast, just the wort. Then once all the wort is in the FV, transfer the yeast into the tank via your preferred method.
    9. Clean up and have a beer.

Comment

Working...
    X