Questions about spray balls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about spray balls

Our brewpub’s brewery is somewhat open to the restaurant and every once in awhile I get complaints from customers about the noise of the spray balls when cleaning and sanitizing my tanks. I try to CIP when the restaurant is not open, which can be difficult to do. My 7bbl fermentation tanks are equipped with 1” FPT rotating spray balls (not sure on the brand). Does anybody have recommendations on a quieter spray ball? Could I use a stationary spray ball? Are they any good? Are they quiet? I know St. Pats sells a cleaning head with dual nozzles. Has anybody used a dual nozzle spray head? My setup may be too weak for it. My portable pump is a Thomsen Model 4 with a Baldor motor (1.5 hp 3450 rpm) and my brewery hose is 1” I.D. (Various lengths, but nothing over 30’). I don’t know the exact psi and gpm of my setup. Thanks in advance.
    - Mickey

Technically, you don't have a spray ball, but a rotating cleaning machine installed. Wish every tank I cleaned had what you have. I'll trade you! Rotating cleaning machines are used a bit differently than spray balls. The CIP solution must have strong anit-foaming characteristics designed for high impact, and the cycle generally takes less time with cleaning machines. Many are hemispherical-up distribution only. It's figured that above the cleaning machine is the hard crud, and the rest may be cleaned with cascading solution as it runs down the tank. These also take much higher pressure to operate. For large tanks, less than perfect surface finish, or very difficult soil loads, they are preferred.
    Sprayballs are much cheaper and merely lay the solution on the tank via sprinkling. They are also often hemispherical-up. They work just fine if you have time, temperature, and solution concentration right. As opposed to threads, most clip on with a pin. You should be able to find something in the right size and then just drill a small hole at the end of your CIP line to accept the pin. Try one to see whether you like it or not. You can always go back. If you switch, advertise those rotating cleaning machines. Might not cost you anything to switch when all is said and done. With all the bad talk about St Pat's, I'd recommend Premier Stainless. Rob will get you what you need.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Tell your customers to relish the experience of dining in a live-action brewery.

Comment

Sounds like I shouldn't worry about the noise. In 3.5 years I’ve only had a handful of complaints. Thanks for the replies. -Mickey

Comment

Mickey I will make sure to come and have beer and complain very loudly about how much noise they make LOL

Fred

Comment

Working...
          X