Newbie bottler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie bottler

We're a new alternating proprietor brewer in NW PA.

We are doing 7 bbl batches and want to bottle 1 bbl of each batch.

Obviously we are so small we can't afford a bottling line so I was thinking of using homebrew counterpressure bottle fillers.
    My question is, can i do this from the BBT? I have a 1.5" TC to 1/4" hosebarb that will connect to the filler but I didn't know if the relatively long distance the beer must travel (5-7') would degass the beer enroute. Also, the force of 7bbls of beer coming down a 1.5" tc to a tiny 1/4" hose barb inlet might blow the tubing.
    Any thoughts?
    Second thought, could I split the line and have say three assistants bottling?
    Forsee any problems? I'm not much of a physicist.

I've seen a youtube video of a brewery doing this but I didn't see if the beer was coming from the BBT or a keg.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jason
    Lavery Brewing Co

If I've understood correctly...

So long as the pipework your beer travels down is reducing in diameter (you mentioned going from 1.5" to 1/4") then you should not have problems with gas breakout at that point.

Once you hit the bottle you might have to adjust pressures to control breakout however, but - depending on your CO2 concentration in your beer - you should be able to manage this.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Contact; dalebrothersbrewery.com, and ask them about their hand bottling opperation, I was picking up a Keg filler at their location 9 months ago and saw, Father, son and daughter-in-law hand filling bottles of beer from the Keg.

Comment

Originally posted by Lavery Brewing
        Also, the force of 7bbls of beer coming down a 1.5" tc to a tiny 1/4" hose barb inlet might blow the tubing.
        A quick fluid physics refresher : the pressure is determined by the height differential ("head"), not the volume of fluid - in this case, the height difference between the beer level in your BBT and the filling level, PLUS the gas pressure in the BBT. Should be OK unless you have your BBT on the roof.
        Gregg

Comment

Working...
        X