Dry hopping - add top pressure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry hopping - add top pressure?

If: After adding hop pellets via PRV (for a dry hopping) it is necessary to close the blow-off to retain aroma...

Then: Adding a small amount of head pressure (say, 5lbs max) immediately after the addition would keep CO2 from nucleating and scrubbing and would lead to more efficient use of dry hops.

Has anybody played with this?
    Last edited by strandbrewing; 03-24-2010, 03:04 AM.

Interesting idea..

I typically bung most of our beers a couple points above TG, and that's when I do any dry hopping too. As it takes a day or so to build up any significant pressure, though, I'm probably not getting the same effect you're talking about.

I feel like if I added pressure at the time of DHing, as well as bunged for natural carb, it would overpressurize and I'd have to vent the tank eventually, so it might defeat the purpose.

Interesting idea though...

Comment

We usually DH in the BT, under pressure. That is mostly because we have no way to add hops to the fermenter unless it is empty.

I also pressurize the fermenter to ~6 PSI at the end of fermentation to encourage flocculation (at the same time I crash the temp).
      -Lyle C. Brown
      Brewer
      Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

I usually rack the finished beer from one tank to another on top of the hops. Process consists of mixing hops into a sterile vessel (ie, corny, bucket) with sterile water, then dumping that into a purged tank through the manhole. Locking it off, and then racking beer on top of it. The hops break down much better and the aromas are much stronger.

Comment

hops and water

What's your ratio of hops:water? I imagine mixing it to an oatmeal-like consistency. How long do you leave it on hops before filter/package?

Comment

or...

I stick mine in a bag of sterile stockinette (like they use for casts). I tie a knot in the bag and tie a string to it, which I loop around the manway handle. Then I hang it from the manway inside the tank before purging with CO2 and sealing it. Fill with beer, and voila!

Easy to clean! I used to use fishing line, but it damaged my gaskets, so now I just stick some cotton twine in sani before tying things up.

Cheers

Nat

Comment

Originally posted by strandbrewing
              What's your ratio of hops:water? I imagine mixing it to an oatmeal-like consistency. How long do you leave it on hops before filter/package?
              my ratio of water to hops is "make it mushy". I Usually add my finings as well when I am doing this, so about a week.

Comment

Working...
              X