Using PVC for CO2 feed lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using PVC for CO2 feed lines

I was wondering if anyone out there has ever used PVC or CPVC for CO2 feed lines?

I have always used copper, but it appears that sched 80 pvc can handle 500 psi at normal temps, I used to have a high flow co2 evaporator array (copper) and fitted it with a 175 psi pressure relief, just in case you draw some liquid co2 into the system and then it gets closed and later evaporates, it can overpressure very quickly, so the extra pressure relief is smart. In all cases I find sched 40 pvc to get too brittle over time with temperature changes, and the fittings end up splitting and leaking way to soon. Hope this helps.

Comment

Another thing you can use is PEX-AL-PEX for hydronic floors. It is aluminum sandwiched between two layers of PEX, and is approved for use with CO2 in Canada. Both companies that quoted me CO2 systems for my last project north of the 49th proposed to use that stuff. I understand it is good to 475 psi, and is available in 1/2" to 1" diameters. Easy to work with PEX fittings, too.

Might end up being cheaper than most other alternatives.

Nat

Comment

Pex

What about using pex for glycol? seems like a cheap alternative.

Comment

pex

That's what my glycol lines are, 3/4 pex. I then insulated them with foam pipe insulation. The fittings are shark bites. I don't know if that's right but it works for me.

Tim

Comment

CO2 Lines

I am using IPEX Duratec Airline Pipe for my Co2 and compressed air for 150 ft runs. I'll let you know when I get it finished.
            James Ray
            Railyard Brewing Co.
            Montgomery, AL

Comment

I have used PEX for glycol on one tank. I am fine with it so far. I also used shark bite fittings, which I do not recommend for this application. If the pipe is not perfectly straight in they will leak. Buy the crimping tool and use it on all the fittings, it will be cheaper and more secure.
              Joel Halbleib
              Partner / Zymurgist
              Hive and Barrel Meadery
              6302 Old La Grange Rd
              Crestwood, KY
              www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Working...
              X