Side or top manhole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side or top manhole

Does anyone have opinion on a side or top manhole on fermenters or bright tanks? I have a choice and i was looking into having them made with a side manhole.

Go side man-way. I was faced with the same question when I was having tanks designed. I'm glad I went with them on the side, considering how much dust accumulates on top of my fermentors. Most that i've seen have doors that are sunken in on top, creating a reservoir for anything floating around to accumulate and drop into the tank when opened. Plus it's easier to see whats going on inside an empty tank from down below rather than moving ladders around to do that(plus extra liability with employees) That's my opinion anyway.
    Zach Henry
    St. Elias Brewing company
    Soldotna, AK
    www.steliasbrewingco.com

Comment

Agree with Zach. There are some other considerations however. Top manways are usually cheaper. They also tend to CIP better as they don't cast much of a shadow as side manways tend to. That said, the top is often prone to more difficult cleaning due to krausen ring. Depends on the particular beer you make. I've also had fermenters that have top manways I appreciate because I cannot cool the cast wort to pitching temperatures. No cold liquor tank/duplex heat exchanger. I knock out into the fermenters at around 34 and let the fermenter jackets cool the wort to 27 before I pitch. Through the top. Can't do that with sides. All said, I rather have side manways with reduced shadows. Even for the extra money it might cost.
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Manhole

Thanks for the information. I did order them with side manholes but wanted to be sure that it was the right decision. Paul

Comment

If you are going to dry hop in your fermenter you will need at least a 3" port in the top. A 3" Sanitary fitting works just fine. We learned the hard way. Let me tell you it's tough getting 2lbs of hop pellets through a 1/2" port.
          Jon Sheldon
          Owner/Brewer/Chief Floor Mopper
          Bugnutty Brewing Company
          www.bugnutty.com

Comment

Working...
          X