15psi rated brite, how to up the carbonation level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15psi rated brite, how to up the carbonation level

Since our opening last july I've been having great success with carbing my beers in our one and only 12 BBL brite tank, I carb over 2-3 days and get to about 2.3 - 2.4. People find it very good but would enjoy a bit more carbonation, I agree.

Thing is, once I reach 2.3-2.4 my head pressure is at 15psi, over that and the relief valve open. Our tank is rated for 15psi.

How can I get to 2.8-3.0 and over? I don't bleed the tank during carbonation.

There must be a technique I'm unaware of.

Thanks for your help!
    Cheers!

Mario Bourgeois
    www.CasselBrewery.ca
    Casselman ON Canada

The only way to get more carbonation in such a short time is to drop the tank temperature lower than what you're already doing. A lower fluid temperature will absorb more CO2.
    Kevin Shertz
    Chester River Brewing Company
    Chestertown, MD

Comment

We let it get up to 12-14 psi in the tanks through 2 small stones cranked to 30 psi on the inlet, then bleed our tanks for 4-6 hours. Gets the job done all the way to 2.8 within 6 hours no problem. Good luck.

Comment

I agree, tested temp in brite is 40F, but thing is the tank sits in a cooler and I can't get it colder than that unfortunately. So temp is the only thing preventing me for getting more carb...
        Cheers!

Mario Bourgeois
        www.CasselBrewery.ca
        Casselman ON Canada

Comment

Are you able to crash cool in your fermenters? If you can bring the finished beer down to 32 degrees before transferring, you should be able to fully carb the beer at around 35 if you get those stones cranking asap and open the bleeder.

Comment

Is the tank jacketed? It would make it possible to purchase a rolly cart glycol system and drop temp lower on just that tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheets22
              Are you able to crash cool in your fermenters? If you can bring the finished beer down to 32 degrees before transferring, you should be able to fully carb the beer at around 35 if you get those stones cranking asap and open the bleeder.
              No we use plastic conicals so conditioning tanks are in a walkin cooler.
              Cheers!

Mario Bourgeois
              www.CasselBrewery.ca
              Casselman ON Canada

Comment

Originally posted by redwood
                Is the tank jacketed? It would make it possible to purchase a rolly cart glycol system and drop temp lower on just that tank.
                No its a single wall.
                Cheers!

Mario Bourgeois
                www.CasselBrewery.ca
                Casselman ON Canada

Comment

As per the comments already made - the only two parameters that will affect the maximum achievable carbonation level are temperature and pressure.

Can I ask - why are people asking for a higher carbonation level? Depending on the reason, it may be worth nitrogenating as well.

This wouldn't reduce the carbonation, but does increase foam stability/performance as N2 creates smaller, more stable bubbles leading to a creamier head.

However this is at the expense of CO2 'bite' so may not be what you're looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by KWLSD
                    As per the comments already made - the only two parameters that will affect the maximum achievable carbonation level are temperature and pressure.

Can I ask - why are people asking for a higher carbonation level? Depending on the reason, it may be worth nitrogenating as well.

This wouldn't reduce the carbonation, but does increase foam stability/performance as N2 creates smaller, more stable bubbles leading to a creamier head.

However this is at the expense of CO2 'bite' so may not be what you're looking for.
                    Our Honey Brown sits at about 2.3-2.4 and people's feedback always come down to they wish it a tad more bite, I figure raising it up to 2.8 might help just that.

Odd things is although our tester indicates 2.3-2.4, we don't see much bubbles raising from the bottom of the glass, but the beer doesn't feel dead flat
                    Cheers!

Mario Bourgeois
                    www.CasselBrewery.ca
                    Casselman ON Canada

Comment

Just done a quick check and at the temperature/pressure you're able to work with, around 2.7-2.8 v/v is the maximum achievable.

As earlier, if your customers want a bit more bite, then nitrogen isn't going to help.

Comment

You should still be able to reach at least 2.7 even at 40 degrees, however, you will need to bleed off an almost obscene amount of C02 for at least 8 hours keeping a consistent 12 lbs of head pressure on top. Hope this helps.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies!

How at what temperature do you carb at and what CO2 volume do you carb at?
                          Cheers!

Mario Bourgeois
                          www.CasselBrewery.ca
                          Casselman ON Canada

Comment

Here is a temp and pressure chart that will tell you what the volume of CO2 will be given any combination of temp and pressure.

A Force Carbonation Chart featuring Pressure vs. Temperature in Degrees Fahrenheit

This is a goofy workaround but what if you carbed as far as you could go in your brite, then transferred to kegs and hooked them up to CO2 at a higher pressure to reach the desired volume. Of course the expensive fix is to get a new brite that is jacketed and has a glycol system so you could lower the temp.

Also, can someone explain how bleeding CO2 helps you get more of it dissolved in the beer? Seems counterintuitive at best.

thanks and good luck, I'm enjoying your recent posts.

Comment

hops

also, you might get a bit more perceived bite with a larger dose of bittering hops rather than with higher carbonation levels.

Comment

Working...
                              X