Vorlauf Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vorlauf Pump

Thanks to everyone who has ever posted a reply to my questions, we made it through our first couple brew days mostly unscathed, however......

The weakest link in the system seems to be the brew house pump, and by weakest I mean way too strong! The 1 H.P. thoreson pupm literally BLOWS the wort back into the mash tun, if I throttle down the output, many funny noises become apparent, that sound like wort swirling violently in the tubing, therefore OXIDIZING!!!

My question is...should I get a dedicated, lower volume pump for the vorlauf? Or is there another answer....

Thanks
    Dave

Install a VFD on the pump

Comment

VFD

please eloborate, I am not sure what this is, or where to start looking for one.
      Dave

Comment

Variable Frequency Drive.

A speed control for the motor. This would allow you to slow the speed of the motor down. They are not cheap.

MoreBeer

Comment

I second that motion.
          Bottoms Up!

Comment

notion....opps
            Bottoms Up!

Comment

Whoa! Way cheaper than changing to VSD is getting a dedicated lauter pump. Plus your main pump will be available for other uses during lauter.
              Even without checkin gpump supply places, look at a Grainger/McMaster-Carr stainless (or bronze if you don't use chlorine) fraction of a HP. Size for the GPM/head you need and not more, for most gentle and energy-efficient transfer. McMaster-Carr bronze circulator #4161K21 for $130 plus flanges will do about 4 gpm-enough for a 7 bbl lauter. Grainger #4RH78 for $317 (a sweet pump but better in TEFC) will give you over 35 gpm.
              Right tool for right job, or "When your only tool is a hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail!"

Comment

Not so, VFD's are available for less than a pump (new one of course). I got one for my alfa laval pump from automation direct.

Works great.

Comment

Working...
                X