Yeast Collection conundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast Collection conundrum

I have a two bbl brewhouse that I have had for a few years now and I am looking to see if anyone has any advice on harvesting yeast. I harvest normally into glass jugs and store for a day or reuse immediately. I brew an Ipa that I dry hop quite extensively, Normally I would harvest yeast and then transfer beer right after into bright tank but when I am ready to harvest yeast in my IPA it has tons of hops in my yeast so I have to harvest before I dry hop and then the yeast has to sit until the next batch is ready which can be around a week sometimes. I need some serious help. and another question is that I use ambient temps to ferment my ales and the only way I can reduce temp to drop yeast is to send to my bright tank lbut the Co2 would kill off yeast I would imagine so I rely on just emptying yeast form bottom dump on my conicals to gather what has flocculated.

Depending on the strain, if you are going to store yeast longer than a few days you are best storing it cold (32-34 degrees) under sterile worth. Some strain bottom harvest better than others, even at temp in the 60s and 70s. I have never had problems harvesting chico at fermentation temps. Other strains may need cold crashed. WY1007, for instance.

For IPAs I haver perfectly acceptable results using US-05 dry yeast. This eliminates the need for harvesting altogether

Comment

Working...
    X