O2 Carbonation Stone Sizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O2 Carbonation Stone Sizing

Looking at inline oxygenation system and trying to figure out which pore sizing for the stones is best. I'm thinking 0.5 micron is better than 2 micron since the bubbles will be smaller and dissolve quicker. Any thoughts?

Also, I'm brewing on a nano-nano system (10-gal). I have a Chugger pump I use for transferring from HLT to MLT. Should I use a pump to transfer wort through plate chiller and oxygenation system, or will gravity work?

Thanks in advance!
    Trey Wilson

Your are quite correct that, all else being equal, smaller bubbles = better dissolution rate (as a rule). As you'll probably have figured already it's not that simple, however!

Other factors like pressure and temperature are important in trying to get gas to dissolve; a reduction in temperature of just a few degrees can be worth far more than smaller bubbles.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Originally posted by KWLSD View Post
      Your are quite correct that, all else being equal, smaller bubbles = better dissolution rate (as a rule). As you'll probably have figured already it's not that simple, however!

Other factors like pressure and temperature are important in trying to get gas to dissolve; a reduction in temperature of just a few degrees can be worth far more than smaller bubbles.

Hope that helps!
      I can imagine there are quite a few variables. I ended up getting an inline system w/ a 2-micron stone because that was all I could find for small diameter piping and a small system. Unfortunately the design apparently doesn't allow for changing the stone out, but I'll check it out when I get it. I'm sure any amount of D.O. from it will be greater than what I get now just splashing wort.

Thanks!
      Trey Wilson

Comment

Working...
      X