How can I purposefully lose aroma?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I purposefully lose aroma?

So I have a nice ale which I dry hopped for three days with ahtanum and bottled.

Now, a week later, I have this very strong hoppy aroma (which I was shooting for) that smells quite a bit like garlic and grass (which I was not looking for). The bottles haven't finished carbonating obviously, but the beer doesn't have the citrusy smell I wanted (I should have used cascade).

I had planned to give this batch away as gifts, but I am not pleased with the smell. Is there any technique out there I can use to purposefully lose some of the aroma while the bottles are still carbonating? I know that "waiting" would probably do the trick, but I have about 4 days before I give the batch out as gifts.

Any thoughts?

Scrub the beer with CO2. Inject CO2 into the bottom and vent off the top. You may lose a little head retention but I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Good luck.

Edit: Sorry I missed the "bottled" part. Time is your only remedy. Don't wait too long though and risk oxidation.
    Last edited by froptus; 12-16-2013, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Wait

Since you have already bottled the beer there is really no way to "scrub" with CO2. If it were still in the tank you could do this but now you need to give it time (which it sounds like you don't have) for the aroma the aroma to go away. Maybe give it the rest of the 3 days and see where it is, maybe it will drop far enough by then that you are comfortable giving them away. Cheers.

Comment

A sticky on each gifted bottle: do not open until New Years Eve.

Hop aroma drops off first, so all you can really do is wait, and possibly store them at a slightly warmer temperature so they condition quicker. Re-capping the existing bottles would probably just introduce flat-ness (and oxidation) if they're very far along...
        Kevin Shertz
        Chester River Brewing Company
        Chestertown, MD

Comment

Working...
        X