Pasteurizing dry hopped beers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pasteurizing dry hopped beers

Any one is pasteurizing theirs hoppy beers? we do it with our American Amber, we pasteurize with the "batch method" @140F/8min. The beers tend to loss a lot of flavor and aroma. We use 0.75lb of pellets/bbl for dry hopping. We use gelatin for finning. At bottling they smell and taste great but it diminish a lot after (next day) we pasterurize them.

We're planning to do it for 6min at 140F next time (or just dont pasteurize?) We filter with 1 nominal micron filter. We recirc pellets in primary (dumping the slurry first). We use a semiautomatic bottle filler. Carb the batch with the isomeric carbonation process.

Our porter improves or age flavors with the pasterurization but hoppy beer dont.

Regards!

makes sense because lots of the volatile oils that you get from dry hopping are evaporated at temps that high. If you are set on pasteurizing i would dry hop afterwards. it seems like a waste of time to dry hop and then take all the benefits of dry hopping away by pasteurizing.

Comment

yes a lot of time due to dry hopping, but i guess i will continue pasteurizing because we sell the beer far away from the plant, if we had a pub no problem one thing we noticed its that if we refrigerate the beer at least 1 day it seems to reabsorb the volaties oils from the headspace and we get a better tasting (oils get into solution it seems)

Comment

Working...
      X