MLT piping manifold help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLT piping manifold help

Good morning everyone. I am trying to help a new brewpub out. They are having problems with stuck runoffs. They are using a budget MLT from Glacier which does not have rakes and has only one drain port under the false bottom. From talking with them about their process, I think this sole drain port may be causing the problem. Maybe channeling is causing the bed to compact? Could any of you post a picture of the bottom of your lauter tuns so we could show a welder what needs to be done? Thank you!

Most breweries 10hl and below have only one draw-off for wort. If yours is smaller, I doubt that would be the problem. Even if you were larger than 10hl, typically the problem would be with sweet spots in your lauter bed and lower efficiencies, not stuck mashes. First thing to check is your malt mill. This best done with sieves. Then your mash runoff rate. If you start too high, the bed will compact. I like to start slow, start the sparge same time as first runnings, and gradually increase runoff rate as the lauter tun heats and dilutes from sparge water; both of which lower the viscosity in the lauter tun allowing faster runoff rates. Reduce runoff rate when you are about 90-95% collected. By starting slow, I mean just less than 1% of your brewhouse size per minute. Aim for 2 hour total runoff time. Good luck!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

The MLT size is 10bbl but I get what you are saying. Thank you for your suggestion.

Comment

Working...
      X