Oxygenation of Wort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxygenation of Wort

I'll admit my lack of experience in some of these areas but I have searched and searched here looking for information on oxygenation of the wort. I have found numerous discussion of how different people handle their oxygenation, but not really answering my question.

Is it absolutely necessary to oxygenate the wort? Is this just a standard practice that EVERYONE does and that is why it's not discusses?
    Is the best way to utilize an inline assembly (http://www.gwkent.com/inline-micro-o...m-1-1-2in.html) or utilizing a stone (http://www.gwkent.com/pico-carbonato...h-tc-15in.html)

Just trying to iron out these final small details.

Cheers,
    Andy

Yes

Have you made beer before?

Not to be condescending, but if you have, then you know that yeast need oxygen for proper growth. They use oxygen "to synthesize unsaturated fatty acids and sterols for cell membrane development" and "sufficient dissolved oxygen ensures high yeast growth, a quick start to fermentation (so other beasties won't grow), and good maturation.
    I copied that from an MBAA book because they say it better than I can remember.

Anyway, the in line assembly is a one stop shop kind of manifold for oxygenation post heat exchange. We use a regular stone because our system came with one that I upgraded to the GW kent you mention. I have never used the GW kent assembly, but I used to have one from Specific mechanical and it was awesome.

Either way, having some way to measure how much you are dissolving into the wort and how much ends up in the tank is key.

Hope this helps!

Comment

oxygen is not absolutely necessary...

But it IS necessary to get at least 8-9 ppm dissolved oxygen if you want to make the best beer possible. As mentioned by the above poster, yeast need it for healthy cell membranes. Without it, yeast cells will not be healthy and this will cause off flavors. spewing cell contents out into beer.. etc. Whatever means you use to get this level of dissolved oxygen is up to you.

There have been studies on using vegetable oil instead of oxygen also because the yeast can also use it for cell membrane health... but obviously using oil is not widely practiced.

The best way to oxygenate/aerate is inline. You can make your own inline oxygenation assembly with a few pipe tee's, some pipe, and an oxygen stone.
      Last edited by Junkyard; 05-21-2014, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all of the help.

I completely understand that yeast need oxygen to survive, but I've never been able to find out how much oxygen is actually needed. It looks like the use of an inline assembly is required.

Cheers,
        Andy

Comment

8-10ppm is the number generally thrown around by the commercial yeast companies. You can tell if you have reached that amount with a dissolved oxygen sensor. Alternatively, you can feed in a measured flow rate of oxygen into a measured flow rate of wort and approximate it. Then using your fermentation results, modify as necessary. BSI's lab handbook outlines the equations to think about: http://www.brewingscience.com/PDF/BS...b_handbook.pdf

Comment

GW kent's assembly works well for both for O2>FV and inline co2 filter>BBT, for flow rates at least up to a 30bbl system. Just make sure you are running your cip and sani in a backflush motion and occasionally disassembling for a soak and inspection.

(http://www.gwkent.com/pico-carbonato...h-tc-15in.html)
            Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
            tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
            "Your results may vary"

Comment

Oxygen required?

There is another option, and that is to add a small amount of oil. I believe there is a study by one of the brewers from New Belgium. You should be using one of these two methods. A google search should give you enough info on either method. I prefer an in line stone if oxygen is used.

Comment

Working...
              X