Overoxygenation - didnt think it was possible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overoxygenation - didnt think it was possible

For those of you who say it cant happen....

We recently got a different sintered stone. during knockout i noticed the bubbles were much finer (it was same micron stone as our last one) so i slowed the flow down to just barely registering on the regulator.

Well long story short the wort was severely over oxygenated. Ive never had happen before, and i was starting to think it wasnt possible. I repitched 1.5 liters of 50% solids slurry into a 1.5 bbl batch. The airlock activity started about normal, maybe a little quicker, brewed on a thursday, checked it on friday for normal activity and didnt see it again till monday. I came back after the weekend expecting to be able to raise the temperature up to 72 degrees, but it was still blowing off (we have about 25 gallons headspace and only see a blow off once in a while, and definitely not on the 4th day) I checked the gravity, it was still at 1.025. This beer was a 1.053 original gravity so i thought that was also weird. It blew off for another 3-4 days! when i tasted it after it had slowed down it tasted very odd. The ph of the finished beer was also around 3.8 ph. I know for almost certain it didnt have an infection.

so the yeast must have been stuck in aerobic fermentation for much longer than expected and kept budding and reproducing instead of fermenting my wort. leaving off flavors in the finished beer.

What kind of setup would someone suggest for a small brewery that wants to try out injecting sterile air? a small oil less air compressor with an inline sterile filter?

Are you using a flowmeter after the regulator?

Comment

We installed one a while ago but it didn't even register because we were injecting less than 1 lpm. After that we took it out. I'm looking for one with a smaller scale

Comment

We got this one that registers from 1/8 to 3 LPM. Tried shopping around for a better price but couldn't really find much. Haven't had a chance to test w/ a meter yet, but we've been running ~1/2 LPM and have been pretty happy w/ the results so far.

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Comment

Thx for the link. We might have to toss that new stone unless we inject regular air, because when I over oxygenated the regulator was barely turned on, it showed about 1 psi. But a flow meter is always a good thing to have so I better pick that one up.

Comment

Working...
          X