Inline Dosing for Sparge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inline Dosing for Sparge

I imagine this has been discussed on the boards somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

I'm looking for equipment to dose phosphoric inline for sparge to avoid treating the entire 30BBL HLT. Anyone have any suggestions or part numbers?
    Mike Halker
    Due South Brewing Co.
    South Florida, USA

Hey Mike, Eric from First Magnitude in Gainesville here. We recently started using this flowmeter from McMaster-Carr: http://www.mcmaster.com/#5079k54/=yzh31x. Part number #5079k54 in case the link goes bad. Also bought a couple SS 1/8" NPT to 1/4" MFL fittings from Foxx to hook it up to a corny keg...

We measure our lactic acid into a corny, dilute with water, then inject through this flowmeter into our liquor before it hits the grist hydrator. We are on a 15 bbl system, and the 1-10 gpm flowmeter can work for both dough-in and sparge. We target the upper end of the flowmeter (10 gpm) and use only about 2.5 gals water during dough-in, to make sure we get it all injected in time (Our dough in is about 12-15 mins). Then for sparging we fill the corny to 5 gals and target the lower end of the flowmeter (3 gpm) to make it through the first 3/4 of the sparge. Works great. In our setup the corny needs to be pressurized to about 45 PSI to flow into the liquor, since the liquor is highly pressurized in a 1" pipe on its way to the hydrator.

Comment

Sorry for the delay man, I was in Yakima. Thanks for the info and I'll look into it right away.
      Mike Halker
      Due South Brewing Co.
      South Florida, USA

Comment

Another option is to use a peristaltic pump with a known flow rate... set it up so that the volume of liquid in the reservoir (i.e. bucket on the brew deck) that it draws from equates to the flowrate X length in time of dough-in or sparging... then dose your acid into the water in the bucket and run the pump during the entire process. Our new brewhouse will have this feature... something that I thought up during design so I can't say yet how good it'll work.
        Christopher Tkach
        Idle Hands Craft Ales
        Malden, MA
        chris@idlehandscraftales.com

Comment

Working...
        X