Chlorinated cleaners - newb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chlorinated cleaners - newb question

I'm looking for some comments about chlorinated vs. straight caustic for CIP. I inherited a bunch of chlorinated stuff, but wonder if there is an advantage to using straight when it runs out. (This post prompted by bleach-marks on my clothes from a recent splash...)

In my limited experience there are benifits to using the chlorinated caustic.

The chlorine definately helps eat up some organics that straight caustic doesnt seem to get to.

I really notice it in the kettle more so than in the fermentors or serving tanks. not sure why. With straight caustic in the kettle it seems to loosen some of the grime up, but it doesnt rinse off, it needs a lil help. With the clorinated, it rinses clean.

Hope this helps

JackK

Comment

hi,

chlorinated caustic is good for removal of hard, proteinaceous solids (like you sometimes see in wort coolers). however, the chlorine can leave flavour taints if not rinsed thoroughly and can also lead to corrosion and pitting of stainless. my advice would be to use the chlorinated stuff infrequently (say once a week or month, whatever), and use normal caustic detergent the rest of the time.

cheers,

alex

Comment

Hi. I use Cl alkaline in every vessel. It is a very good cleaner. If your stuff is KOH (potasium hydroxide) and not NaOH (sodium) you can use it at much lower temps as well. If you go above 130 F. the Cl will start to evaporate. This Cl stuff is much easier to use. However, in kegs you need to rinse very completely as to remove all the Cl, brite tanks as well. If Cl and O2 are in kegs, pitting and CL in beer will result. I have just been efforting this situation myself. Personally, I like my Cl KOH stuff, but I'm looking very hard at the residual Cl. Happy Cleaning

Comment

Working...
        X