Dry hopping with Chamomile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry hopping with Chamomile?

Anyone have any experience with dry hopping with Chamomile?

usage rates???

Thanks in advance,
    Cheers,
    Mike Roy
    Brewmaster
    Franklins Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
    5123 Baltimore Ave
    Hyattsville,MD 20781
    301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
    @franklinsbrwry
    facebook.com/franklinsbrewery

I haven't actually dry hopped using chamomile but instead have made teas for a secondary addition. Depending on how much flavor you want and if you are adding other spices I used 35-45 grams per bbl (about 7g/5gal). Hust pull some wort from primary (enough to cover the spices) and boil for a bit then addd to the vessel you are about to transfer into. If you use the higher amount you will need to let the beer mature a little bit to help mellow out the musty/tincure like flavor from strong chamomile. How did you guys fair the storm that hit NH a while back? And thanks again for the hospitalty while I was on my trip =)
    Last edited by Buckley; 07-05-2006, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Dirty Rig

Sorry to go off topic for a second guys.
      ..Mike did you happen to watch the "Dirty Rig" show at your pub ? those dudes must have drunk you dry!!
      Great Rock n Roll band!!!!
      Sorry back to Chamomille...........

Tariq (Dark Star Brewery)
      Tariq Khan (Brewer/Distiller)

Yaletown Brewing and Distilling Co.
      Vancouver, B.C.
      Canada

Comment

Buckley we faired fine, lost power for about 6-7 hours so didn't open one day but other than that everything survived.

Tariq, I wasn't here that night for Dirty Rig, I hear they had a frontman from a big NYC punk band? I'm sure they tried to drink us dry, but the next day we still had plenty of beer

And now back to chamomile...

I ended up using German Chamomile purchased from a local grocery, i believe the product was from Frontier. I used a little under 2oz for a cask pin (5.4 US gallon) of [German hefeweizen, the flavor was awesome, but a bit overwhelming. In hindsight I would cut it back to 1.3 to 1.5 oz next time and see if the flavor melds better as amore of a contributing flavor than dominating.
        Cheers,
        Mike Roy
        Brewmaster
        Franklins Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
        5123 Baltimore Ave
        Hyattsville,MD 20781
        301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
        @franklinsbrwry
        facebook.com/franklinsbrewery

Comment

Working...