Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure Brewing

Hello all,

I am looking for any information on Pressure Fermentation. A few years back I visited a brewpub in Split Croatia and he was fermenting at 2.5 Bar at very high temperatures to increase his throughput.

The beers were good and did not have any of the off flavors that I would have associated with high temp brewing. The brewer said that the concept was that the pressures inhibited the off flavor production by the yeast.

Any sources of info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Pensinger
    Brewer, Williamsburg AleWerks, LLC
    Mike Pensinger
    General Manager/Brewmaster
    Parkway Brewing Company
    Salem, VA

Dr. Wellhoener

This process was invented by a brewing scientist named Dr. Wellhoener in the 50's. I'm not sure where it's discussed in detail in English. Put his name in a search and see what you can find on the web.

What happens, briefly: Increasing the pressure allows for higher fermentation temperatures keeping the fermentation by-products pretty much at the levels found in beer fermented at normal temperatures and atmospheric pressure. There is one exception: The indicator for pressurized fermentation is a high 2-phenylethanol content. As far as I know, this has only been done extensively with standard German bottom-fermenting yeast.
    Last edited by crassbrauer; 08-23-2006, 03:34 PM. Reason: can't spell

Comment

Working...
    X