Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for quality Temperature Controllers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for quality Temperature Controllers!

We are constantly running into problems with our temp controllers. Lightly tapping our controller will make them jump to outrageous temperature readings and it’s becoming a huge problem (even walking up the steps of deck will make them jump!) I will come in ready to brew in the morning, and the HLT will be at 130 degrees because it’s reading 736 degrees. Wort will stop boiling because similar problem. Luckily the mash controller hasn’t jumped on us yet (knock on wood). Our system manufacturer tells us it’s due to how tightly they’re mounted but that never works no matter how much I tighten or loosen. System is equipped with Solo 4848 AutomationDirect controllers and I’m thinking that they’re just terrible. Any recommendations on quality TCs we can purchase for our system?

Thank you in advance!

Jeremy
    Head Brewer
    Cold Harbor Brewing Company

I would start with checking the connection to PID before replacing the RTD or wire to RTD. There is an exposed wire somewhere. This is the cheapest part to test / fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Jeremyspearout
      Jeremyspearout commented
      Editing a comment
      The RTDs all seem fine and we’ve checked with meters. I’ve checked the connections to RTD and terminals connected to back of Temperature Controller. If it’s a bad wire, could that cause the temps to jump around just by touching the TC? Thanks for responding, much appreciated.

Take a volt meter and read the signal coming from the RTD wires. If you are seeing anything other than a steady state, you know it’s not the 4848 malfunctioning but rather a source signal issue.

I’ve used solos for years without issue, but I have seen signal interference cause issue with Love and Solo when using unshielded wire in close proximity (wire bundles).

I’ve had a dozen or so different PIDs burn out over the years but they are almost always the relay that goes. SSR systems usually last much longer on the PIDs. It’s not likely based on your descriptions that the controller is the problem, but rather the RTD or wiring.

Comment

• Jeremyspearout
      Jeremyspearout commented
      Editing a comment
      We have checked with meter in the past and everything seemed fine. I’ll have to recheck because they’re jumping more than ever. We got the brew system last October and after about one month of use, they started being a problem. So a bad wire from RTD to TC can cause the temps to adjust by lightly touching the TC? I just can’t wait to not have to worry about this anymore. Thank you so much for all your advice, I’ll recheck with meter today, and replace wire if I get bad readings!

Definitely sounds like a bad connection/wire. Check controller connection and probe connection wires. Check lug (if used) connections.
    Pax.
    Liam McKenna
    www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Omron is a considerable option

Comment

Working...
      X