pH meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pH meter

We are looking for a pH meter (portable). One that reads or calibrates at brewery sample temperatures. We will be using for water, wort and beer. Not to be used for wastewater. Any suggestions and recomendations. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Travis Zeilstra
    Montana Brewing Co.

check grainger.
    we found a great one in their catalog for about 70$. portable. easy calibration.
    Grainger is your premier industrial supplies and equipment provider with over one million products to keep you up and running. Use Grainger.com for fast and easy ordering with next-day delivery available. Rely on our product experts for 24/7 support.

shaun

Comment

Portable PH checker

Hanna Instruments recently sent me a cataloge promoting their new digital ph checkers for use in beer, wort, water, ect. check out www.hannainst.com
      They have a range of 0.00-14.00 and an accuracy of +/- .2. All you need is 2- 1.5V batteries. Handy lil' suckers to have around. Will be purchasing in the near future... keep you updated if they are worth the price

James Murray
      Ballast Point Brewing Co.
      San Diego, CA

Comment

Hanna Instruments

We have been using Hanna Instruments for as long as I can remember and I can only say positive things about them. Nice thing about the medium range handhelds is that the probe comes separately so in case it breaks you can just replace the probe. The HI991001 model (temp and pH) is a great value!

BelgianBrewer
        Last edited by BelgianBrewer; 04-04-2008, 05:37 PM.

Comment

does anyone use benchtop meters? I've been looking at them on ebay, and they're super cheap, but I'm afraid the probes might be expensive. How often can you use a probe before you have to reacalibrate/get a new one?

Best,
          Ben

Comment

Watch out for the cheap ones. plus or minus 0.2 isn't nearly accurate enough to be valuable. you will need at least another digit of signif. more like +/-0.02.
            Larry Horwitz

Comment

I've been using a Hanna - red waterproof, auto temp correct handheld...mt604, I think. Liking it so far...6 months in.

One thing I find is, 'calibrate often'! I brew back to back batches and the reading on my second batch sparge water is usually way off from the first...recalibration sorts the panic.

People say the probes go quickly, so make sure you can get replacements for whichever model you get.

Cheers,
              Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
              Chairman of the Beer
              Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
              Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
              W: www.lovibonds.com
              F: LovibondsBrewery
              T: @Lovibonds

Comment

Replacement probe

I like the ones with the probe that is separate from the unit, not the testers. Probably still a lingering fear after I dropped one into the mash once.
                I agree with Larry plus or minus 0.2 isn't nearly accurate enough!
                I had to replace the probe after a 2 years. Make sure you keep the tip covered and wet whenever you store it.

Comment

This is the one we've used for the last year and a half.

Seems like a good unit for the price, durable, replaceable electrode..ect..

Extech Exstik PH100 $90.00

Comment

Store electrodes in a buffered potassium chloride solution, pH 7.00.

Bench top meters are great, but the electrodes are pricey and only last 2 to 3 years. Calibration should be done once a week, and +/- 0.2 is more for the home gardener. I currently use a handheld hannah, but used to use a benchtop Fisher brand (actually accumet) meter. The bench top one was awesome (0.01 accuracy), but cost a whole lot and electrodes were around $90. Probes that use a temperature probe in combo are much more expensive.

For brewing, +/- 0.1 is sufficient.
                    fungus rules the earth

Comment

Working...
                    X