CLT Insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CLT Insulation

I’ve read several threads about using a plastic storage tank in the cooler as a CLT. While not against the idea, I’d rather not take up the cooler space. I’ve got room in the brewhouse for a large enough tank (150+/- gallons), can route RO waste water to that location and can use the glycol chiller to chill the water for a brew day, but trying to figure the best way to insulate it. Pre insulated poly tanks are a bit pricy and seem to be offered in large sizes only. Any DIY ideas that are effective and look presentable appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Craig.

We have a 750 gallon tank wrapped in this for the past 7 years. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-R...0-ft-L/3775465

Works well.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Jon Sheldon
    Owner/Brewer/Chief Floor Mopper
    Bugnutty Brewing Company
    www.bugnutty.com

Comment

I was thinking of Reflectix, used it at home in the past, was thinking it wouldn’t seal tight enough and would have to use spray foam. Guess a nice, tight double wrap, good tape, etc would help avoid a huge sweaty mess as the water chills. Saw your tank on your website, cool building. Old Buick dealership?
      Thanks!
      Craig.
      Last edited by Craig Dhonau; 07-19-2020, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Yup, 1932

Jon Sheldon
        Bugnutty Brewing Company
        www.bugnutty.com

Comment

Foil tape will set you free.

Jon Sheldon
          Bugnutty Brewing Company
          www.bugnutty.com

Comment

I seriously doubt you will get a decent seal with Reflectix. The insulation needs to be air-tight or you'll get infiltration which will greatly reduce the effectiveness of the insulation. You'll also have problems with biofilms growing in the condensate.

1- 1 1/2" Armaflex sheet glued on with a good contact cement will do the job nicely. You can even buy paint from Armaflex to seal the surface and make it easy to clean. This is what we have on our 300 gal. glycol back.
            Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
            Terminal Gravity Brewing,
            Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
            X