bottling for comps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bottling for comps

With the GABF fast approaching and the GIBF soon thereafter, I figure everyone is bottling to send beer away, even if you dont normally bottle. i.e. brew pubs. So I ask, what have you found to be the best method? I have a counterpressure filler tht looks like an alien pleasure toy and I have just aquired a beer gun, and although the foaming is less, the beer is flat in 2-3 days. im running it the way they suggest only with more beer line in order to reach my kegs and serving tanks.

Any ideas, and what do you like to do? Thanks.
    "Uncle" Frank
    Frank Fermino
    Brewer I, Redhook, Portsmouth, NH
    Writer, Yankee Brew News, New England
    Wise-ass, Everywhere, Always

I use a counter pressure filler or if I can schmooze my way into it. Find a friend with a maheen. take a 1/4bbl and line it in.

Comment

Originally posted by BMXFRANK
      I have just aquired a beer gun, and although the foaming is less, the beer is flat in 2-3 days. im running it the way they suggest only with more beer line in order to reach my kegs and serving tanks.
      Any ideas, and what do you like to do? Thanks.
      I have a beer gun and it took me a few batches to get it down......

Make sure that the bottles you are filling are the same temp as the liquid you are filling them with. Also cut back on the preasure........ Good luck!
      Cheers!
      -Alan

Comment

If you are running the beer gun with extra beer line, then you probably need to change the inside diameter of the beer line. The beer line that comes with the beer gun is the right length to keep the carbonation in solution until it reaches the bottle. Also, when I use the beer gun I set the pressure on the tank to like 4 psi.
        Troy Robinson
        Quirk Brewing
        Walla Walla

Comment

Originally posted by troybinso
          If you are running the beer gun with extra beer line, then you probably need to change the inside diameter of the beer line. The beer line that comes with the beer gun is the right length to keep the carbonation in solution until it reaches the bottle. Also, when I use the beer gun I set the pressure on the tank to like 4 psi.
          My line lenth is somewhat set now. Can I counteract that effect by increasing the pressure from the server/keg? i.e. changing the flow of good carb to low carb and making it flow from too much carb to good carb?
          "Uncle" Frank
          Frank Fermino
          Brewer I, Redhook, Portsmouth, NH
          Writer, Yankee Brew News, New England
          Wise-ass, Everywhere, Always

Comment

"take a 1/4bbl and line it" Your kidding right? I mean we have a six head maheen and it would be next to impossible to run it off a keg much less a 1/4 bbl. You might get one or two good six packs at the most and that would be if the whole line was in a cooler at the same temp as your beer. Keeping the pressure in the keg consistent would be a big problem too. You might be able to put a T inline and switch over at the end of a daily run, still sounds like trouble to me.

I use a single bottle counter pressure filler for my homebrews. The key is get everything as cold as you can ; bottles, filler, beer. On a hot day I once put my filler and hoses in the freezer before starting.
            Joel Halbleib
            Partner / Zymurgist
            Hive and Barrel Meadery
            6302 Old La Grange Rd
            Crestwood, KY
            www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Originally posted by BMXFRANK
              My line lenth is somewhat set now. Can I counteract that effect by increasing the pressure from the server/keg? i.e. changing the flow of good carb to low carb and making it flow from too much carb to good carb?
              Yeah, I guess you could just play with the pressure to see what pours best.
              Troy Robinson
              Quirk Brewing
              Walla Walla

Comment

Working...
              X