No announcement yet.

50 Liter kegs or 1/2 bbls...advantages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 Liter kegs or 1/2 bbls...advantages?

What are the advantages to either. My thoughts are that you can offer "lower prices" for 50 Liter kegs since there is less product in them. Less sticker shock to prospective buyers.

other thought is if you are going to make a sale, it might as well be for a few bucks more...a few gallons more with the 1/2 bbl. also more beer sold and less cooperage to clean.

Yup. Some bar owners think the beer is cheaper than it is, but may feel cheated when they figure it out. Fifty liter kegs take the same floor space in a cooler or delivery vehicle but have less beer and therefore revenue per sq foot.
    Likely more cost in steel (to you) per gallon of beer sold. More cleaning/handling per gallon of beer sold.
    There is a weight difference when your back is hurting.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight
      Yup. Some bar owners think the beer is cheaper than it is, but may feel cheated when they figure it out. Fifty liter kegs take the same floor space in a cooler or delivery vehicle but have less beer and therefore revenue per sq foot.
      Likely more cost in steel (to you) per gallon of beer sold. More cleaning/handling per gallon of beer sold.
      There is a weight difference when your back is hurting.
      good stuff....i agree

Comment

I've used both and if I were starting my own brewery I would go with 50 liter kegs with interlocking rubber skirts. They are lighter and easier on your back to move around. They stack well,either empty or full. While stacked high two can be rolled upright very easily and safely.

I understand it will cost you more per ounce of beer....but to me the safety of stacking and moving them with added ease of less strain on your body is what I prefer.
        Cheers,
        Mike Roy
        Brewmaster
        Franklins Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
        5123 Baltimore Ave
        Hyattsville,MD 20781
        301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
        @franklinsbrwry
        facebook.com/franklinsbrewery

Comment

We switched from 1/2's to 50's about 4 years ago, for us the 50L kegs are by far the better package:

Beer appears cheaper than a 1/2 bbl even if its same price per oz

Product turns over faster than a 1/2 bbl, therefore its fresher product, and retailer feels like the product is higher in demand as its moving faster

Weighs @20 lbs less than a full 1/2 bbl, it does make a difference. Less weight is better for brewers, drivers, and bartenders

Additional advantages to the Schaefer Plus 50L kegs (which many use):

kegs aren't stolen for scrap as they are poly-coated

Poly kegs don't slide around in the back of the truck/van, and really stay put on the dolly.

Poly-clad kegs are better insulated

Stackable chimes rock! you can easily maneuver/spin a 3-keg stack

IMO, the major disadvantages are extra cost to clean, fill & ship due to smaller package size, however, for us the pros outweigh the cons.

Comment

Originally posted by Beersmith
            We switched from 1/2's to 50's about 4 years ago, for us the 50L kegs are by far the better package:

Beer appears cheaper than a 1/2 bbl even if its same price per oz

Product turns over faster than a 1/2 bbl, therefore its fresher product, and retailer feels like the product is higher in demand as its moving faster

Weighs @20 lbs less than a full 1/2 bbl, it does make a difference. Less weight is better for brewers, drivers, and bartenders

Additional advantages to the Schaefer Plus 50L kegs (which many use):

kegs aren't stolen for scrap as they are poly-coated

Poly kegs don't slide around in the back of the truck/van, and really stay put on the dolly.

Poly-clad kegs are better insulated

Stackable chimes rock! you can easily maneuver/spin a 3-keg stack

IMO, the major disadvantages are extra cost to clean, fill & ship due to smaller package size, however, for us the pros outweigh the cons.

Very good points!!!!

Comment

A Miller brewer told me they went away from the total poly covering because of forklifts and automation. Once hit. if pierced the damage is covered and not immediately obvious which is a big problem. From a small brewers point of view, I love them for all the reasons mentioned above and I have yet to have a rubber coated keg snap back and wack my fingers which happened far to often with the bigger kegs + I'm getting too old for the 1/2 bbl

Comment

Working...
              X