Glycol Loop Pressure for Supply and Return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glycol Loop Pressure for Supply and Return

Being in Florida we start to really struggle with Glycol issues this time of year. I have a Prochiller dual 10 HP chiller with a 300 gallon res. I have two loops that it feeds with one pump. (It has a recirc pump for the glycol cooling to res)

The Bath is sitting at 28F and is set to 27F. So to me the chiller is functioning well even under the heat load of the summer. The head pressure numbers on each chiller are reading in a low range so it isn't even acting like it is struggling to maintain.

All of my 30BBL tanks are having problems crashing. I have 7 10BBL fermenters, 5 30BBL fermenters and a 30BBL CLT set at 38 degrees (which is pretty much always open).

Loop 1:
    7 10BBL Tanks
    4 30BBL Tanks

Loop 2:
    2 30BBL Tanks
    1 30BBL CLT

Loop 2 seems to be functioning better than loop 1. Both are running a supply pressure of around 12PSI. Return lines are not restricted at all and are running around 3-5PSI.

Glycol coming back through the return on both loops seems to be relatively cold still. I am wondering if I need to some how restrict the flow through the tanks to get the Glycol to exchange more heat before coming through the tank and back through the return?

Any insight would be appreciated on this......

Good Morning! Lauren with Pro Chiller here. It appears that you have a flow issue and I would suggest mapping out the piping with lengths and dimensions on a diagram. You can email that to me to review and we can assist with finding a remedy to improve the flow or add pump capacity to solve the issue. A few other items you could check: pump motor rotation, strainers, open bypass valves. I can be reached at laurenc@prorefrigeration.com

Cheers!
    Lauren

Comment

Sent! I will upload it here as well for any other input that could be helpful! Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	glycolLoopDiagram.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	308727

Comment

Working...
      X