No announcement yet.

Steam Jacketed Mash Tun Without Mixing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Jacketed Mash Tun Without Mixing?

My brewery is exploring the option of a 15BBL steam brewhouse with steam jacketed mash tun. The manufacturer is recommending against including a mixing rake assembly, but this doesn't really make sense to me.

I would imagine that mixing would be necessary to prevent scorching and aid in mixing a uniform mash temp, especially for conducting a multi step mash. The manufacturer insisted that a multi step mash wouldn't be a problem without a mixer and merely using the steam jackets and vorlaft.

Are breweries using steam jacketed mash tuns without a mixing assembly? and if so are they conducting multi-step or just single infusion mashes? I imagine that a single infusion would be possible without a mixer, by adding very light steam heat in order to aid in insulation of the mash, but even then I see the possibility of scorching and large temperature differentials throughout the mash.

Steam sounds nice, but it seems like we would be under-utilizing its potential if we couldn't conduct step mashes because we went without a mixer.

If someone could shed some light on the operation of a steam mash tun that would be great.

Thanks

We have a 10bbl steam mash tun that does not have mixer or rakes so I have to mix it by hand during my steps. It takes longer to bring it up to temp that way. I would have them install a mixer to get a more even temp across the mash. Rakes might not get it even enough.

Comment

Dont do it unless you only want to heat up water. 15 Bbls is getting right to the top end of what you can reasonably mash in by hand anyway. To try and efficiently mix by hand for temp steps you will struggle. Our 20 Bbl steam heated mashtun w rakes and mixer does a pretty poor job of evenly heating. Cant imagine how bad it would be by hand. The only steam mashtun I worked with that actually worked well had a steam jacketed inverted cone in the center with rakes that rode right around it and it also had steam jacketed sides. At 15 Bbls I would go for a single infusion hand stirred mash tun for economy and simplicity.

Comment

What, what, what?

IMHO, you definitely want a mixer for mash tun. Most companies would jump at the chance to offer you more equipment. I just have to ask who is the equipment manufacturer that won't sell you a mixer for your mash mixer? PM me. Inquiring minds need to know....
        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Try looking into a system where you mash into the kettle with a hydrator and mixer, then transfer to a lauter tun, rinse the kettle and remove the mixing blade. You can also get better efficiency this way due to better mixing and even add a step mash if you wish.

Beers,

Aaron

Comment

Get the rakes. I am very curious as to why they would recommend against. The only reason I can think of is that they do not have the technology to do it. Now you have to ask yourself do you trust them to do a quality job. I would get the rakes to stir it up, that is a lot of mash to homogenize by hand. I would also ask for references, so you can talk to someone who has used one of their systems that has rakes installed.
            Joel Halbleib
            Partner / Zymurgist
            Hive and Barrel Meadery
            6302 Old La Grange Rd
            Crestwood, KY
            www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Working...
            X