Dairy tank to Brew kettle conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dairy tank to Brew kettle conversion?

Has anyone done this? We picked up a 275 gallon all stainless, jacketed, dome top, inverted dome bottom, milk tank for really cheap. My immediate concerns would be the inverted dome bottom, and the width of the tank might be just a tad wider than the height. It's pretty close to a 1/1 though.

The inverted dome bottom would be fully draining, but would this be appropriate for hops and trub to settle? I was thinking to just add an outlet a little farther up the side.

Also what height to width ratio is best for a BK? I've always been under the impression that a taller kettle is better. And why?

Here's a pic of the tank. (The one on the left)

If I understand correctly (couldn't open attachment) some of your questions may be answered in this thread about a convex-bottom tank: click

Comment

Originally posted by uptown brothers View Post
      If I understand correctly (couldn't open attachment) some of your questions may be answered in this thread about a convex-bottom tank: click
      thanks man that helps alot, we also thought about cutting the convex bottom off and inverting it/welding it back on to become a concave bottom.

anyone have any input on why a wide brew kettle would be a bad deal?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (59).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	190460

heres the picture of the brew kettle ( BK is on the left, HLT on right)

Comment

Working...
        X