Force carbing in my new 3bbl stout brite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Force carbing in my new 3bbl stout brite

We are comissioning the new brite tank and i am wondering what psi do i set the co2 and for how long.Temp is crashed at 35 degrees.We have a co2 tester on the way.

Originally posted by mntnmn View Post
    We are comissioning the new brite tank and i am wondering what psi do i set the co2 and for how long.Temp is crashed at 35 degrees.We have a co2 tester on the way.
    This is a pretty thorough discussion:

Comment

Thank you for that .I am reading it through since last night but i must admit.I jumped the gun.

I transferred warm 63 deg dry beer (no spunding) to the brite yesterday about 2pm. I pre charged the co2 tank to 10psi before transferring the beer over and set the gauge to 10 psi.

Today i came in and took a sample from the brite and the glass was all foam.And When the foam subsidded it seemed to have great lacing but not so much co2 substance not as clear as i want it.

So now i am wondering how do i get the beer to vent out some and clear better so that i can keg this today or tomarrow and make room for cleaning and the next one.

Please keep in mind fellas that we are upgrading and learning as we go. We upgraded from 2 bbl Blichmann based system and had to force carb all the kegs in the cooler at 35 psi for 2 to 4 days.And got varying results.

Comment

We have a 4bbl Stout BT. Our process. Transfer to purged BT with 0 head pressure. Set temp to 35. Seal BT and set CO2 regulator to 15 psi. Keep bumping up pressure on regulator over several hours until you hit desired psi in tank. For us 11-13 in tank and about 20 on the regulator. Hold for a day. Doing it this way for almost 3 years with no problems

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
        Prost!
        Eric Brandjes
        Cole Street Brewery
        Enumclaw, WA

Comment

Upon further investigation i realize through reading various threads on this great site that i have committed a cardinal sin by transfering the beer with a centrifugal pump and not with co2.Need a bit more parts to do that.Stout never said i would need parts like these and i never thought to ask.

Hindsight i guess but hey i knew there would be a learning curve.

Thank you all.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with using a pump. Start by letting gravity work, the bring pump up to a slowish speed. Keep head pressure on beer so it doesn't foam.

Comment

Theres no problem with transferring with a pump. Just make sure your lines and pump are flushed with CO2 so you don't whip oxygen into solution. Yes transferring with CO2 is "gentler" on the beer and often preferred but if you do it right there shouldn't be any issues. As for taking the sample, depending on what kind of sample port you have, you might want to put some restriction on it just like a keg has on its way to the tap. I have the stout sample valve and have a 5' wish piece of coiled up piece of 3/16 choker line on it to balance the pressure in the tank when I take a sample. Hope this helps and good luck!

Comment

When you say you took a sample from the BBT and it was all foam... Are you using a pigtail on the sample port to equalize the temp/pressure? That would give you a much better representation of the actual carb level.
                Joel Halbleib
                Partner / Zymurgist
                Hive and Barrel Meadery
                6302 Old La Grange Rd
                Crestwood, KY
                www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Carbonation SOP

I start carbonating at 4psi on a neutral bright tank. I run that for 30 minutes, then raise it to 8 psi for 30, 12 psi for 30, 16 psi for 30 then 20psi for 30. I test it and if it is good I take excess co2 pressure off and re-pressurize with beer gas and serve. I figured 4 psi to be my wetting pressure. This system works great for tiny bubbles.
                  Tom Hennessy
                  www.coloradoboy.com
                  Author of The Brewery Operations Manual
                  Author of Colorado Boy Brewery Standard Operating Procedures (S.O.P.)

Comment

Working...
                  X