No announcement yet.

Single Infusion vs. Step Mashing - Efficiency Increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are using an Indian reseller of weyermann, you think they're swapping malt on us?

I'm using RO, but here is my water profile after additions:

My Water profile:

Calcium Magnesium Sodium Chloride Sulfate
    (Ca ppm) (Mg ppm) (Na ppm) (Cl ppm) (SO4 ppm)
    Mash Water Profile: 119 18 161 132 186
    Mash+Sparge Profile: 59 9 79 65 91

I'm pitching US05 at 80g/HL right on the top end of the spectrum. Maybe the yeast is old? I've never had this problem!!

This thread is also mine:

Comment

Having looked at your other thread, you mention the fermentation cools overnight from 18/19 to 16 - sounds like you need to insulate your vessels better. This sort temperature drop has killed fermentations in my experience, even in 2000 hl FVs properly insulated FVs when someone accidently applied the cooling to take it down to the diacetyl rest temperature. We had similar problems during winter in one old brewery where the airflows overnight in the middle of winter could stop fermentations with a similar temperature drop as the vessels were uninsulated. We had to close the place before we got a chance to insulate them, but the conicals with decent (4 inch foam) insulation were always fine. You must be getting pretty low temperatures to cool it that much though.
      dick

Comment

Yeah, I'm convinced now that the cold over night temps are slowing the yeast metabolism down.

Comment

Working...
        X